We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

Grand Rapids...
2 posts
Save Topic
Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

Hi all! My husband and I are planning to take our honeymoon (10 years late :/), but I'm getting overwhelmed by the options!

Here's what we need:

-warm, but preferably not Mexico

-preferably all-inclusive

-availability of activities such as hiking

-we don't drink, so don't care for the party scene

-prefer not to be around a ton of kids

-open to a cruise

-Last but not least... shooting for $3000 or under incl. airfare.

So I know this is a lot to ask, but I'm hoping some well-traveled folks might have some suggestions! Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

You may want to scope out 3 additional forums for posts related to yours: Honeymoons and Romance, Holiday Travel, and Beach Travel. All can be found here:

www.tripadvisor.com/ListForums-g1-World.html

Offhand, you may want to share when you are going and more of what activities you enjoy, beyond hiking.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

Go to Costa Rica, a wonderful place full of interesting things to do, from beaches to jungle you'll get it all there, and on top it'll be comparably cheaper to many other top destinations.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,511 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

Too bad you are excluding Mexico - that is one of the best locations for incredible beach and stretching your dollars - lots of AI choices as well. I haven't been but have heard Dominican Republic and Jamaica are good values for AI's as well. Good luck! :)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,820 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

If you don't drink and really don't appreciate bar-focused nightlife and entertainment, then I don't think an AI or cruise is the best choice for you.

I'd recommend doing a non-AI trip. I think you'll find it more satisfying, romantic and relaxing. You can participate in various organized group excursions, tours and activities as you like. You should still have lots of options available to you to purchase even though you are in more independent accommodations.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 21:16
Grand Rapids...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

Thank you all for your thoughts!

We are planning to go March 2014. We enjoy seeing local shows, activities like hiking and kayaking, and any opportunities to see local wildlife. We certainly want a "beach day" or two, but would LOVE to spend a day hiking in a rainforest or seeing waterfalls or a volcano or something like that.

I'm excited to look into the possibilities that have already been suggested, thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

I definitely agree with Costa Rica, based on your last post.

7. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 16:05
Edited: 22 November 2013, 16:05
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

Agree with post #6. I spent 10 days in Costa Rica in February and it fits all your criteria, regarding wildlife, rainforest, hiking, volcanos. It would be difficult to get the "package" you are asking for at other places.

The "trick" on Costa Rica though is that it's so diverse, even though a small country, so you will have to travel to get everything. You will want to go everywhere, from the Caribbean Coast to the mountains to the Pacific Coast. It's hard to do all that on AI, but we took a tour which was mostly AI. No kids but fun mature adults. Made some good friends.

With your needs, it truly sounds like Costa Rica.

Also, don't pay attention to the post right above (Anton) as he's advertising his own business (not allowed on TA).

9. Re: Help! Planning a trip for two, very new to this!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:17