We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Australia

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Australia

Hi everyone, We will be flying out of New York City so that's the easy part. I'd like to know (if anyone knows) what time of year is cheapest to fly to Sydney Australia? Actually, we want to go to Perth as well so I need to know if it's cheaper to fly straight to Perth then Perth to Sydney or fly straight to Sydney and then to Perth and back to New York from Perth.

If anyone knows, who is the best to book such a trip? We need hotel in Sydney but not Perth. Thanks for your help.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,108 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Australia

Since your post is focused on Sydney, have you taken a look at the local forum?? Tons of useful information, Top Questions (upper right corner), etc.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g255060-i122-Sydne…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,560 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Australia

Hi Snowyegret51;

You may also consider posting your query on the "Air Travel" forum. That forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trave…

Best Regards

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Australia

It is more expensive during school holidays in Aust.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,237 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Australia

I agree with bk and RT about posting on the Australian forum.

But here's a little head start;

- there's no guarantee any season is cheaper. Forecast from previous seasons is not an accurate indicator, as load factor experts at the airlines can and will alter it to suit them. Sign up for email alerts with the airlines that fly two hop (NYC/LAX/SYD) from New York; Delta, United, Qantas, American. Then consider domestic internally. I would consider SYD as your entry point over PER, as the average flight time is 23hrs vs 25hrs+, but fares is your consideration.

- flying with a single airline will always have benefits over multiple airlines, especially if you're planning to fly domestic at your end destination. It also minimizes issues as you only have to deal with one source.

- monitor fares and routes using www.skyscanner.com and www.matrix.itasoftware.com BUT use that information to book directly with the airline. Do not use a third party.

- with hotel bookings in Sydney, monitor rates and availability using www.Wotif.com and www.Booking.com BUT be sure to check the hotel site also. The areas most popular to stay are The Rocks, Circular Quay and Town Hall/CBD. The closer you are in proximity to Sydney Harbour, the more expensive.

- your choice of accommodation will depend on your nightly budget, availability and location. Unlike the airlines, hotel seasons is much more clearly defined, and our 'offseason' (our winter is significantly cheaper) is May, June, July.

- school holidays here will have zero bearing on hotels rates and domestic fares. It only affects coastal locations, as residents here do not go 'into the city' for school holidays, they head OUT of the city. It will however affect road traffic to popular sightseeing destinations.

5. Re: Flying to Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:18