We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline for hotel booking....you'll most likely regret it

Port Dover, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Priceline for hotel booking....you'll most likely regret it

I am writing this post in the hopes that it helps people avoid getting ripped off by Priceline the way I just did when booking a hotel.

I have used Priceline before, for hotels and rental cars, and I am an experienced traveller. Point is....I know the risks of using a blind purchase service so this is not sour grapes from someone that didn’t know what they were getting into. You may think that, if I’ve used them multiple times, this must have just been an isolated incident. Not true. I have always questioned their rankings of hotels, but never had a bad enough experience to write something.

I booked a hotel near the airport (city and hotel are irrelevant….it’s not the hotel’s fault they are not ranked correctly….or is it?). The category I chose was 3 star AFTER I clicked on the link that shows you examples of what a 3 star hotel is (Holiday Inn, Doubletree, etc).

What I got was a hotel that is a 1 star at BEST. I know because I have stayed there twice….once when it was a Sheraton Four Points, and again after it had been sold off to a lesser quality chain. Needless to say, it’s obvious why Sheraton sold the property…..it needs a lot of renovation and they clearly didn’t think it was worth the money to do it. Apparently neither does the new owner, but I digress…

The point is, Priceline can put any hotel they want into any category they want, ESPECIALLY if it’s not a national brand. After talking to three different people who are trained in the art of saying “I’m sorry for the inconvenience” and “I understand your frustration”, they wouldn’t even entertain the idea of giving me a partial credit to offset the huge discrepancy between the rating they gave and the rating the rest of the internet gives the hotel. I couldn’t even get any assurances that they would revisit the rating for that particular hotel!!!! It became very clear that Priceline has absolutely no desire to keep their customers happy because if they lose you, there will be another sap along at any moment.

MAKE SURE THAT SAP ISN’T YOU.

Rental cars are one thing….they can’t lie too much about the category of car because it’s pretty much a common standard. Compact is compact. Midsize is midsize. Even airfares, aside from connections and times, still accomplish the same thing at the end of the day (although I’ve heard horror stories about airfares and I wouldn’t personally EVER consider giving Priceline that kind of money). Hotels on the other hand….there are just too many variables.

Bottom line, Priceline is quick to remind you what the terms and conditions are when you use their "Name Your Price" service, but they won’t honor their own commitments in the form of the examples they give of each star class.

DO NOT TRUST PRICELINE WITH YOUR HOTEL RESERVATIONS. EVER.

They WILL rip you off, or at the very least you WILL be disappointed. I guarantee it.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 00:29
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline for hotel booking....you'll most likely regret it

Priceline Terms & Conditions

>>>Hotel Star Ratings (General): Priceline.com's star rating system is provided for your reference. Like other well-known hotel rating systems, priceline.com considers a number of factors in evaluating the quality of participating hotels such as: amenities, facilities, reputation, brand, other rating services, customer feedback from guests who have stayed at the hotel, etc., to assign a single star rating. Priceline.com screens participating hotels carefully and updates our information periodically to ensure the validity of our ratings. Our ratings systems may sometimes differ from those of other rating systems that you may be familiar with. We do not warrant or guarantee that our star rating system is equal to or consistent with any other star rating system and reserve the right to change a hotel's rating at any time with or without notice<<<

This type of disclaimer is common with almost every third party OTA, so it's not exclusive to Priceline. Nowhere it states the ratings/rankings are of official capacity.

If this has been an ongoing concern for sometime, why have you persisted?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline for hotel booking....you'll most likely regret it

Obviously Kevin is upset, but his post contradicts itself too often to be taken seriously. He guarantees you will be disappointed with Priceline, yet he says he's used Priceline several times in the past. He says this is not an isolated instance, yet that is exactly what he describes.

He says this property was a Sheraton 4 Points and claims it is a 1 star at best. I seriously doubt Sheraton operates any 1 star properties. If you bid on a run down hotel in a specific city in the past why would you use Priceline for that city again? That is one of the things experienced Priceline users learn. There are situations where Priceline may not be worth the discount, but that doesn't mean Priceline should never be used.

It appears Kevin does not understand star ratings.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline for hotel booking....you'll most likely regret it

Quite right, przyk.

Like you, Kevin, I have used PL many times. I just used it in the past few weeks to get a 4* Amsterdam hotel for $68. Regular price is about $200Euro. I am not and have not been disappointed. How can you guarantee others will be disappointed? That's ridiculous.

What hotel is this?

4. Re: Priceline for hotel booking....you'll most likely regret it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 19:35