We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday between Australia and UK

Hereford, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family holiday between Australia and UK

Hi I am looking to arrange a family holiday next year for 7 people aged between 16 and 70. My daughter and family live in Australia and there fore we are looking to meet somewhere half way between Australia and the uK. we will be travelling around Eastertime, April 2015 so have plenty of time to plan and would welcome suggestions, we are on a tight budget so bargain destinations will be a plus

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,331 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

I think airline routes will have a fair bearing on your choice of locations, as it would be quite costly and rather illogical to select a city/location that's not on an existing route between the UK and Australia.

The most obvious would be somewhere in SE Asia, such as KL, BKK, Singapore, and Hong Kong. The 'halfway' would also depend on which city you are referring to in Australia.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 09:15
Hereford, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

Thanks, they live in Adelaide

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

Doing something similar in early May with my Kiwi family and ours is10-55 year old range and we opted to hook up and stay on the West Coast USA-them flying into LAX and us flying into SNA and sort of meeting in the middle, not that expensive to stay in, plenty for the young uns to do and good weather and food

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

halfway and a budget, i'd suggest thailand

maybe expensive to get out, however living cost is so cheap

i haven't done thailand, however i am going for 3 days in july as part of my asia trip

flights/ hotel booked for (i got a 4* suite for £45 a night in middle of bangkok!!)

i was going to budget £50 a day however my friends said £60 for all 3 days!!! per person

are you the one looking at the trip?

if so look at airasia for flights out of australia and see what you come up with

also sign up to email alerts for emirtes, finnair ethiad for flights out of uk to the other side of the world

i got my TWIN centre flight for JULY 2014 for £525!!! BARGAIN!!! (peak season)

Hereford, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

Thanks, sounds like our sort of get a way holiday, will check it out with the others

Hereford, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

Thank you, it sounds intriguing you have checked out lots of options for your holiday, enjoy

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

barbara T

i LOVE searching for holiday bargains

although it takes up alot of my time and can be *stressful* however i enjoy it and find it relaxing

i'm known amongst my friends to find bargains, and they keep saying if i ever give up my job i should do travel!!

give you an idea on what i booked

etiad manchester- bangkok

3 nights 4* suite

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1448…

airasia to KL with 30kg front row seats

6 nights 4* deluxe room bang in central bukit bintang (this was overbudget but i wanted this hotel due to previous trips)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298570-d1086…

airasia 30kg front row seats hong kong

7 nights is a 4* suite

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g294217-d1235…

ethiad to manchester from hong kong

flying in july

got it for....wait for it

in fact...

i'll let you guess first... how much you think i paid per person

i did book it all seperately

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,056 posts
5,941 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

Thailand is a great option and BKK can make a good stopping point between London and Sydney. I'd give consideration to that option.

Singapore and Hong Kong make good alternatives but they are less exciting and much more expensive city options. Enjoy your holiday search and happy travels.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

I would say singapore for families. There is so much choice of activities, things the kids will love, like sentosa island which is a huge fun park and there is accomodation there also. Singapore has places like the bird park and beatiful gardens the oldies will like. Its clean, pristine, easy to get around and great food. Great shopping and markets. And everyone speaks english, in the shops and hotels, restaurants etc. Direct flights from adelaide and not too long to get there.

Your lot will love it ♡

10. Re: Family holiday between Australia and UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:50