We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

Luzon, Philippines
2 posts
Save Topic
Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

I booked a hotel through Expedia two days ago and they have already charged my credit card the amount due. I have received the confirmation email, and it says in my Expedia itinerary that it's "booked" but I emailed the hotel and they said they haven't received a reservation from Expedia.

I have booked a different hotel from booking.com before and I received confirmation from the hotel exactly the day after.

Should I be worried?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,751 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

What is the date of your reservation? And did you book a large international hotel, or a small independent hotel? How much information did you provide in your email (name, date of arrival, Expedia confirmation number).

That's a an odd reply as Expedia reservations are simultaneous at the time of your confirmation. The causes could be;

- it's a system error on their part - which is extremely rare

- the hotel has received it and hasn't entered it into their system yet (due to backlog, in which case they'll put priority to reservations closest to the arrival date)

- they have received it, and there's been a miscommunication (checking wrong date, wrong name etc)

- large hotel with the newer systems can accidentally stall the drop in of your reservation (newer systems no longer are manually entered)

If you have plenty of time, give it a couple days and check again. Alternately, email Expedia and forward them the hotel email, and ask them to verify. And vice versa with Expedia confirmation and send that to the hotel.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 06:42
Luzon, Philippines
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

My reservation is still far from today, but I was just worried because they already charged the amount to my credit card. I'll wait it out after a few days and see what happens.

It's just a small guesthouse, so I figured there shouldn't be any backlog in terms of number of guests. I gave the hotel my name and the details of my reservation (i.e. room w/ all the other inclusions) but that's about it. I will forward my Expedia confirmation to the hotel right now. :)

Thank you so much!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,751 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

If it's a smaller guest house, what would happen is that they would receive the reservation via email and manually enter it into their system.

It's hard to say whether every staff handle reservation or a select person, and depending on the location, it could be late evening, or the weekend, so the front desk staff (or whoever responded to your email) may have no idea that the reservation may have already been received by email, printed off (then email filed in some folder) and sitting in their 'intray' in their back office somewhere.

So no need to panic, but take necessary steps to continue communication with both parties.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

Even a small guest house may use an automated system and a channel manager to mange their bookings from all the different third party sellers such as Expedia. If they do they should drop into their system automatically within a few minutes of the booking being made. (They would also receive an email from Expedia as KVE said) System problems and outages could prevent this. I'd go back to Expedia and ask them to contact the hotel on your behalf.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

A hotel not having a reservation only 2 days after booking with Expedia for a date "far" in advance is normal, in my experience.

I have seen it many times. The hotel may not have your name and details until a few days or weeks before your check-in date.

If you investigate this a little you will see it is normal practice.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 10:14
White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

"A hotel not having a reservation only 2 days after booking with Expedia for a date "far" in advance is normal, in my experience.

The hotel may not have your name and details until a few days or weeks before your check-in date"

It's certainly not my experience of Expedia. As a small business owner, I get bookings within minutes of them being made with full details of the guest. If they didn't tell me for 2 days, there may be an overbooking if I sell the room to someone else. If they do it differently with other hotels I'd love to know why they wouldn't send guest details sooner.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

I don't know the details, but as far as overbooking.....The hotel will have rooms booked for expedia but not know the guests name until closer to the check-in date. Why? I don't know but it has happened to me more than once and I have read here at TA of it happening to others.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

Ours appears as soon as the payment goes through and they get the info in the system. Unless our server is down (it's happened) and they have to fax it in. If it's same-day they seem to always fax a last minute booking alert in addition to putting it directly in the system.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,751 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

I think some reservations are booked in a different format in different regions. I can't think of any other explanation. We all know that Expedia has a mixed distribution model, and that has to have something to do with it.

I agree with you hawkeye, it gets mentioned a whole heap, here about allotment styled bookings, and the only thing I can pin point is that the distribution methods used in the Americas (north, south and central), is different to that of Europe, Asia, and Asia Pacific. Because what Jill says definitely applies in NZ, Australia, UK and Europe.

But at the same time, I've spoken to those in the industry who swear, they sell in a similar method to wholesale.

Strange.

Edit - ooh kitap, now that makes it interesting. That's the first time I've heard from a hotelier in the US that's verified the same as ours.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 13:57
Iowa
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expedia says 'booked' but hotel doesn't

Hopefully the OP will return and let us know how this goes. Some people may panic and want their money back before the hotel has their name.

I did find one TA thread where another member asked about the same question. They did not return to follow-up. I know this has been asked several times but I cant seem to find but that one that wasn't any help.

travelpia......Please come back to this thread with details after you check-in or when you know the hotel has your details.