We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shocked by booking.com

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shocked by booking.com

I booked a hotel through booking.com

Today, I found out that hotel reception has whole information of my credit card including validation date and even CVC.

I realized that Booking.com simply gives my card number to hotels for the payment.

Anyone knew this? or experienced any problem?

Frankly I didn't have any probleme with booking.com. But I feel awful now by what booking.com has done.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 15:09
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shocked by booking.com

Everyone who uses Booking.com knows this - well everyone who does research.

That is exactly Booking.com's business model - they have no involvement with your payment process. Did you not read the Terms & Conditions when you booked? How else is the hotel supposed to secure your reservation?

Silly silly thread title

Edited: 16 April 2014, 20:50
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shocked by booking.com

Booking.com T&C

1. Scope of our Service

"From the point at which you make your reservation, we act solely as an intermediary between you and the provider, transmitting the details of your reservation to the relevant accommodation provider..."

Edited: 16 April 2014, 21:06
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shocked by booking.com

Most hotels are going to want your credit card anyway when you arrive to cover incidental costs.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,886 posts
5,900 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shocked by booking.com

winston20,

Indeed its best to be much more careful about your thread titles as to avoid misleading readers of the posts that you start.

I thought booking.com had done something horrible wrong to you. Now, it seems that you simply were unfamiliar with their business practice in regard to the cc: information facilitation and reservation systems. As such, you are not shocked by booking.com. You are shocked by a process, which has been in place for a long time.

Best regard to your travels and hope you benefit from your experiences here on Tripadvisor.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shocked by booking.com

Hi Winston ,I have been using booking.com for years they do state the fact that they take no money off you and they pass your card details on to the hotel that you have chosen .I think that you should remove your post booking.com have done nothing wrong.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,528 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shocked by booking.com

Unless you plan to sleep in the offices of booking.com, they need to give the hotel the information.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 02:34
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shocked by booking.com

Many of the hotels state if you dont cancel with in a certian number of days and then dont show up you will be charged for that room, or a percentage thereof.

Yes I was a little startled reading that thread title, as I have been busy booking most of my accomodation for my upcoming trip with booking.com, and given my details...I am yet to find out for myself what I think of this company.

If all the hotels have your credit card, can you still pay in cash if you wish to?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shocked by booking.com

>>>If all the hotels have your credit card, can you still pay in cash if you wish to?<<<

Absolutely, as long as you haven't booked a *prepaid* (upfront payment) reservation.

When you book, you'll need to read the T&C of each hotel - as payment requirements vary. In addition, be sure to add in the comments field "settle by cash on checkout".

But be advised that they will still need your credit card details as a method of security at the time of booking, and also as a security deposit for any incidentals.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 11:47
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shocked by booking.com

I had done hotel bookings through booking.com 2-3 times and never had a problem, however I think we have to provide the card details for them to understand that the booking is genuine, the same will be charged if there is a no-show or last moment cancellation which is clearly defined at the time of booking. overall my experience with this site is quite good. once I changed my hotel after confirming the booking, I got a call the next day from booking.com guys, they were enquiring whether i have anything to share about the reason for the cancellation and whether I have any negative feedback for the hotel..

10. Re: Shocked by booking.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 22:35
Get answers to your questions