We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging us dollar for euro.

Sarasota, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Exchanging us dollar for euro.

Hello everyone.

I'll be traveling to Amsterdam from the US next month. Should I exchange my dollars to euros here or in Amsterdam?

If Amsterdam is a better choice, where in the city is a place to do that?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging us dollar for euro.

Usually when traveling internationally, it is easiest to use your ATM to get money in that country's currency. Using credit cards is easy as well, unless you have one that accrues fees for international use that seem excessive. That way you get the current exchange rate, which is the best value for your $$. DO notify your bank and your credit card company that you are traveling out of the country so that you don't have any problems. :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging us dollar for euro.

It never hurts to have a few euros in your pocket on landing -- to tide you over until you can find the ATM.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging us dollar for euro.

I always get a few euros here in the USA from my bank(Wells Fargo) before going to Europe. I like knowing that I have money right away instead of needing an ATM in the airport.

I don't mind that the exchange rate is not the best.

After that I use my normal ATM/debit card to withdraw euros from any ATM in Europe.

You'll have to ask in the Amsterdam forum if Amsterdam has money exchange bureaus that list their exchange rate or if most people just withdraw from ATMs. Some countries have ATMs that don't charge a fee (like Italy) and some like Spain charge their own fees on top of whatever your bank will charge.

Ask your bank for their fee schedule for foreign ATMs and ask on the Amsterdam forum for ATM charges in that city. Then make sure you tell your ATM bank and your credit cards that you'll be traveling. I have credit cards that do not charge foreign exchange fees and an ATM bank that allows free withdrawals. You'll have to find out the fees for your own banks.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,709 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging us dollar for euro.

ATMs are best but as said above, you may want some starter money.

Otherwise it is better to exchange at your destination rather than at home although, in most place, it is better not to exchange at the airport.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging us dollar for euro.

AAA members can purchase over 70 Foreign Currencies from AAA.

Order foreign currency online or in your local AAA office.

If you have any unused foreign currency left over, your local AAA will buy it back from you.

You can purchase "Starter pack" of the denomination needed to get you started.

No "exchange" fee for members.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging us dollar for euro.

Compare the AAA exchange rate to the one offered by your bank. For me the AAA rate was much worse than the one offered by my bank so I wouldn't buy currency there.

7. Re: Exchanging us dollar for euro.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:17