We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are any of the third party booking sites legit?

Sparks, NV
Level Contributor
175 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
are any of the third party booking sites legit?

I am searching for a vacation package for my husband and I to celebrate our 25 th wedding anniversary. I have looked at cheap Caribbean, orbitz, book it, and many more. Then I have gone on the actual resorts website to cost compare prices. I am finding that prices on the resorts websites are much more expensive. I know the saying, 'if it is too good....' but I do want to get the best price for our trip. It seems most of the reviews on the 3rd party sites are very negative. Are any of them reputable?

Thank you!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

Expedia and Travelocity are two that come to mind. Most people who have a good experience don't write a review.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,101 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

I think that sometimes the 3rd party sites can be good if you are booking a pkg.

It is good that you are comparing prices but also compare the cost of flights to make sure you are getting a "good deal". The problems usually come in when people want to change a booking and they discover that they cannot do that once they pay. Read all the rules about changing and maybe buy some travel insurance to cover you if there is a problem.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,871 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

There are several legit 3rd party sites and there's nothing wrong with using them as long as you understand the potential downsides. Expedia, Orbitz, and Ebookers come to mind as 3rd party sites I wouldn't hesitate to use if the price was right.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,790 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

I booked a package to Berlin last fall thru expedia for flight and hotel and had no problems. Also did the same for Vegas as well thru expedia. But with the horror stories now I hear I have started to use the airlines directly and hotels directly especially for something as important as an anniversary.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,647 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

I'm not sure if this is still true, but at one point it was almost always cheaper to book a package for travel from the USA to the Caribbean or Mexico. You can also search flights and when you find your best flight option check the airline website. Most if not all airlines offer package deals.

If you want to save money you have to do some research. No single source is always the cheapest or best way to book.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 16:51
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

As mentioned, some are legit and reputable, some are not. I use Expedia, Priceline, and Hotwire a lot.

You will read negative reviews about every single online travel website. People never go to the internet to praise a company, but everybody hurries to the internet when they have trouble. That is why we all read so many negatives and very few positives.

This is the place to ask about a website. If you find a deal- come back here and ask about it. Good luck.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

Just wondering? Reading about inaccuracies, difficulty resolving issues and uninformed staff, I wonder if these sites are staffed by telemarketing rather than experience travel personnel. Do they make commissions,especially of "upselling"?

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

I have used Expedia and European Dest. in the past. All went smoothly concerning flights, hotels, transfers. Only one issue was with Expedia when my name had an error on the tickets. Sure, there's that 24 hour free cancellation, yet price for new ticket was $300. more than original. Always found that the 3rd party had better pricing than direct with hotel and airline for packages. I research a lot.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,420 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

>>>I wonder if these sites are staffed by telemarketing rather than experience travel personnel<<<

What do you mean by experienced travel personnel? Do you mean qualified travel agents? If so, the answer is no

>>>Do they make commissions,especially of "upselling"?<<<

Yes they do make commissions, but it depends on the business model.

The larger reputable OTA's are directly contracted to the supplier, so it's not like the agent can upsell and cancel the previous reservation on their own accord. The process has to go through the conditions (which may include change fees for airlines) and permission of the supplier, and the inventory has to be controllable - agents cannot control that. So no, it's not like there's some conspiracy to gain more commission.

Edited: 24 March 2015, 17:22
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,739 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: are any of the third party booking sites legit?

I thought I had posted a reply here, but obviously didn't!

Sissy, my impression is that the people who work for third parties on the phone are mostly poorly paid people who simply read whatever is on their screen. They have little experience of travel themselves, and very little knowledge of the industry. The training they receive is minimal, and will be connected with the rudiments of operating whatever system the company sues for its incoming calls and holiday information.

I think it's likely that there will be some element of performance related pay, and that could well be related to sales, the number of calls handled, customer satisfaction, some other measure or all of those things.