We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on travel republic

Dublin, Ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on travel republic

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has actually used these guys to book holidays? I've been checking loads of online sites and these are coming in almost a hundred euro cheaper than the others and it almost seems too good to be true. It seems GoHop.ie seems to be the most secure online site but is a bit cheaper and as holidays have become something of a luxury to go on these days, I don't wanna get caught out and lose money!! Cheers in advance!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,025 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on travel republic

There are several posts on them here in the Bargain Travel forum, as well as the Air Travel forum - I can't recall all the issues people had, but they are worth a read. Type the words "travel republic" into the search box above your post, then click the magnifying glass.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on travel republic

As with all OTAs you need to read the terms and conditions before considering booking, so you know what you are actually buying and how their website works. I wouldn't consider booking a flight through them. Flights are far better booked direct with the airline, although you may be alright if you book just the accommodation through them.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 10:01
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on travel republic

I have booked hotel rooms and transfers with Travel Republic many times and have always found them reliable.

Never had any problems.

Agree with the last reply and ALWAYS book flights directly with the airline.

Never book flights through a third party.

Graham

London, England
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on travel republic

There are plenty of reviews about them, some good, some bad. Personally, I wouldn't book through a 3rd party. You can book your flights and accommodation direct.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on travel republic

You often find that booking hotels direct is more expensive than through a company like Travel Republic , Booking.com etc.

Worth checking with hotel and with these companies and compare prices.

Graham

London, England
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on travel republic

Yes, but often the hotel will match the price. I have just returned from a DIY holiday to Crete for 10 days. We stayed in a hotel used by Thomas Cook and flew with Easyjet. I checked the price on TC just before we left and it was almost double for same duration, same airport, same room type and same board basis.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on travel republic

I agree , hotels will sometimes match prices that`s why it`s a good idea to get the best price from the internet companies and then phone or E mail the hotel and see what they say.

I just returned from Spain and had a really good deal by speaking to the lady that does the hotel bookings . She undercut the companies by a good margin.

However this is not always the the case.

Well worth taking the time checking.

Graham

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on travel republic

I've booked hotels and transfers many times with Travel Republic, but never flights as I prefer to do those direct.

The only time I've encountered a problem was when I booked a one night stay and on arrival at the hotel told us they had overbooked and gave us a room in an alternative hotel. We had no option but to accept, due to coming off a transatlantic flight and needing to sleep before a long drive the following day, but told them we were not happy as it was a lower rating than the one we'd booked. When we got home I detailed my complaint to TR and they refunded the total cost which I felt was good service.

Next time I booked with them I emailed the hotel just before travelling to check our room was going to be available!

As previous posts have advised read all the T's and C's thoroughly too.

9. Re: Need advice on travel republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:16