We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

Here is why!

28 days to even respond.

Complaint was closed without checking with us first.

Therefore had to reopen a new case (another 28 days wait).

AGAIN closed without desired resolution.

We required a full refund from our hotel as per Hotels advice due to a faulty fire alarm that went off all night. The hotel advised us to speak with Travel Republic and they would grant a full refund.

The hotel rejected this (which is another issue) but I feel Travel Republic should have been on our side, as we booked through them... but they were not at all and it was highly disappointing.

The hotel offered us less than a third of the nights stay.. Travel Republic accepted on our behalf and closed the complaint.

None of our questions answered, just a copy and paste from the hotel's agency.

The complaint is now closed again with the following written at the bottom;

"As the issues raised have now been reviewed, we are unfortunately unable to escalate your complaint further"

Would you be happy with this? Bearing in mind that my girlfriend was 6 months pregnant at the time, so needs her sleep.

Not happy at all.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,443 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

Your contract was with the hotel, not Travel Republic. They're only a middleman. Yes, they could probably do more, but when you book through cheap OTAs you'll usually find that they make their savings via customer service. All you can do is either go direct to the hotel about it, or send a letter to TR for them to forward to the hotel on your behalf. It makes no difference whether a complaint is closed and then reopened. Every time you contact them the clock resets to allow them a further 28 days to respond. When dealing with hotels, often it takes an agent longer than that to get a reply from them.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,049 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

100% agree with what has been stated by LS, and that this has nothing to do with Travel Republic. I also agree that the hotel could and should have done more for you, but it's entirely their discretion as to how they determine how much they offer in terms of refund.

How many nights did you stay?

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

Thanks Sunaddict. What interests me the most is that you have advised me on more of their processes than TR have themselves in 2 months.

After phone calls where their agents say 'you'll have to follow complaints' and then complaints closing without any responses I think my statement of 'awful customer services' is pretty spot on.

I do know what you're saying, but the manager of the hotel said I had to go via TR to get the refund... Which of course, I am now taking up directly with the hotel.

Thank you for your response tho :-)

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

Thanks KVE,

We were there 3 nights, and I have already gone straight to Hotel to query this.

You say TR have no obligation, yet hotel told us to go to them, they have a complaints procedure which they have to follow and after I asked them 5 or 6 specific questions they didn't answer and just forwarded on the hotels agents response.

Everything I asked was ignored, which like I say, is terrible CS.

I'm not an unreasonable person, but I have a wealth of CS experience and I wouldn't treat my customers like this.

Being lied to by the hotel and receiving no help from TR (who whether you like it or not, they took my money so should have an obligation to help) doesn't make me particularly happy.

Matthew

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,443 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

The hotel will always refer you back to the agent, as it's the agent you paid your money to. They should refund the agent, and the agent then refunds you. The agent doesn't actually have an obligation to help you other than to forward your letters to the hotel, and the hotels letters to you. They are purely a middleman.

A high street agent would do more, but then there prices are usually more as well. As before, TR etc sell cheap, because they make cuts in their service - somewhere.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,049 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

G'day Matt,

Absolutely agree with LS again

First things first. I agree this situation stinks, but make no mistake it's the hotels' fault. If the fire alarms didn't go off all night, you wouldn't even be discussing this. The only reason why TR is even involved in the process, is purely because of the handling of funds, they've got no responsibility whatsoever in terms of operational decisions of the hotel. And even then, the decision of how much TR relinquishes is based on the hotels instructions, not TR's. The hotel was also the one who told you they'd agree to a full refund, but then reneged.

Secondly, which night did the fire alarm go off? From a hotel managements' perspective, this will have an impact of the decision making process about the refund. If it occurred to you on the first night, but YOU chose to continue your stay, you've inadvertently opened the door for a compromise. The mistake the hotel made was to tell you one thing and do another.

The other point of contention is whether you may have misunderstood what the hotel was offering. The hotel may have been implying that you were due a full refund for the one night of the incident.

Regardless, TR isn't in the position to decide anything, it's entirely up to the hotel.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 19:15
1 post
7. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

Travel Republic are not trustworthy, recently my wife booked flights, transfers and accommodation with them for a holiday. They contacted us to say that the flights were not available, nor were any alternatives on the dates required, so we asked for the whole booking to be canceled. Guess what, they canceled the flight booking and still charged us for the transfers and accommodation. We are now £700 + out of pocket for a holiday we didn't take and they have refused to refund it. To make things worse, the customer service in dealing with this issue has been shocking. I am now having to draft a letter to the ombudsman to try and sort tbis out.

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Edited: 25 September 2014, 23:02
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,020 posts
192 reviews
8. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

https:/…agency-terms.aspx

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,443 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

<<DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!>>

Why not? You agreed to just those terms when you booked. They're pretty standard for OTAs but you've obviously never read them before agreeing to them - not a great move! You booked 3 separate elements. Why should they refund other than the one that wasn't available at the price shown?

Maybe you should stick to package holidays in the future!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,911 posts
435 reviews
10. Re: Travel Republic - Awful Customer Services / Complaints

It's a shame that people do not understand what they are booking and the importance of reading the conditions. What a shame these simple things are not taught at school.