We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globus Tours- Best of Austria and Switzerland

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Globus Tours- Best of Austria and Switzerland

We are looking into doing a coach tour (which includes some train legs) next July for 11 days through Austria and Switzerland. This will be an absolute FIRST for us as all our travel has been independent travel either with hiring cars or using local train networks. As we are on as time budget for this trip, it seems to be the best way to cover this area in a shorter time frame. I would really appreciate any comments/reviews/ suggestions as I am not totally convinced we will cope with the less individualised and more crowded style of travel. Do the benefits outweigh these concerns? Is Globus a good company to deal with? What time in the mornings are the starts usually on this style of trip?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
699 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Globus Tours- Best of Austria and Switzerland

We went on the Globus Best of Italy tour in 2011. It was very good. We have been on two large group tours. We had a lot of fun that we would not have had if we had not been with a group. I think it depends upon your own style, what you enjoy, and if you are comfortable meeting others. It was nice having Globus do all the planning. However, when we went on a safari in Tanzania, we knew we didn't want to be with a group since we wanted to make the plans and the decisions - so we took a private safari. We will be going on another large group tour later this year. I have several friends who have traveled with Globus and are happy with them. I would not hesitate to go with Globus if I liked the itinerary and the price was right. Yes, there can be some early mornings (leave at 7:00 - 7:30 or so). My thoughts are that you can always rest on the bus if you want. I'd rather get going in the morning. I don't travel to sleep in. I prefer tours where there are few 1 night stays, though when covering a lot of miles that does have to happen at times. Go to the Switzerland and Austria forums and type in Globus in the search box. There are several posts.

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Globus Tours- Best of Austria and Switzerland

hi there, just read your concerns!!! we have just been with globus , munich, Salzburg & vienna , 8days. well, the bus is ok, the tour dir. was nice.

YOU do not have enough time, you are lucky if you have 30mins.. we were back tracking so we dident mind, but , there was a massive but. the tour dir. change the diff. tours you could go on , when there where time to do so.we had bought a trip to Eagles nest $150.00 before we left aust. the tour dir. change , so we left the hotel at 7.30am and came to Eagles nest before 9am. hallo we saw FOG, and nothing else, really really disapointet, I am know fighting to get my money back, yea you quesed it , it is not happening. the hotels are sort of ok , the food we got at some hotels, when you came tired to a new place , was not worth eating! we normaly do go by our self , like you do, we will not go on another bus tour.

I booked train tickets from home , with OBB, first class from only 72 euros on first class from vienna to Salzburg(for 2 people), and again from Salzburg to munich, they where great and running to time , 250km pr hr,

if you have any more qst, please doent hesitate to whrite to me, I will be more than happy to help you.

which airline are you going with?? and where are you flying too??

kind regards lene

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Globus Tours- Best of Austria and Switzerland

Hello,

When I searched the forum using the search box just above the forum questions, this long forum thread about Globus was one of those that came up. It might be worth a read -

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k6230…

In terms of quality, Insight seems to be top of the range, Trafalgar sort of mid-range and Globus is a more budget quality tour. It depends on what your needs and expectations are? You could see what hotels they include and check out their reviews here on Tripadvisor and see if they look OK. If you are happy with a kind of rushed itinerary, early starts and eating mainly hotel food during your trip, then a tour is for you. If you want a more leisurely pace, doing more things you want to do then planning your own itinerary and travel arrangements may be better. Tours can be great to see a lot in a limited time and they bundle everything together so most costs are taken care of. A list of extras and optional sightseeing tours is offered and you take your pick.

It's just a matter of deciding if the tour style suits you and you are happy with the quality the company offers.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Globus Tours- Best of Austria and Switzerland

It sounds like you might be a good candidate for a river cruise in Europe Avanti. Just like tours, they DO vary in quality however all of them eliminate the need to pack and unpack each day. We like uniworld.com for the best service and "tour" elements. Each hotel (ship) is decorated like a European boutique hotel. Food is excellent and varied but you can choose to dine off the ship on your own for lunch or dinner. A choice of sightseeing is included as are gratuities and all types of drinks on the ship throughout the day and night. All inclusive only applies to uniworld however as the various companies are different.

5. Re: Globus Tours- Best of Austria and Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 06:16