We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia Best Price Guarantee - which websites they accept as

Parnu, Estonia
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia Best Price Guarantee - which websites they accept as

Expedia Best Price Guarantee is an absolute scam, hands down.

Booked a flight via Expedia. Then got their ad that right next to my booking confirmation, for limited time only, I can book a hotel at a very discounted rate. I did not think long and booked one room via Expedia.

Then, out of curiosity, checked other portals. Well well, what do you know - ALL of them had much lower price. Virtually All of them.

I submitted a BPG claim. Cheaper rate was found at www.hotelsclick.com - they reply:

"We checked "www.hotelsclick.com" and found that the price they offer is higher compared to the price you paid for your reservation."

It was a complete lie. The screenshot proved it (it was more than 60% cheaper), so I re-submitted the claim.

This time, I got the following answer to the same claim:

"We verified that "www.hotelsclick.com" is not a US-based website. It is based in Italy. Due to this, we are unable to process your claim."

Ok, I understand that (there is no contact data in www.hotelsclick.com website, so I had no way of knowing where it is based. It said "Venice"; however, there is Venice in California; in Italy, it is "Venezia" - so my bad).

Since ALL the sites I checked at www.hotelscombinded.com had much cheaper rate, I started to Google, where they are based, and found out that a site called www.getaroom.com is legit and based in Florida, USA. I submitted a new claim, attached a screenshot, the price at getaroom was almost 50% cheaper. And this is the answer that I got:

"“The Best Price Guarantee applies only to prices both advertised and available to the general public on an English-language website. For example, this does not include rates offered on membership program websites, corporate discounts or rates; group, charter, rewards program, incentive, meeting, convention, consolidator or interline prices; prices obtained via auction or similar process; or prices available only by using a coupon or other promotion not offered to the general public.”

We checked "www.getaroom.com" and verified that it is a consolidator website, which acts as host agency for other travel agencies to get negotiated rates to sell to the public."

LOL :D So basically, they have covered all bases as to not honor their Best Price Guarantee. What a bogus campaign, a dishonest company, and stoopid customer service.

Can anyone advise, is there any booking site that would fall under the accepted category, and can be used as a comparison to apply for BPG? Or none whatsoever and this is a total fool's gold?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia Best Price Guarantee - which websites they accept as

>>>I did not think long<<<

This statement sort of sums up the situation, in that you have booked prior to doing research. If Best Price Guarantees were that easy, they'd be giving it away.

>>>Then, out of curiosity, checked other portals. Well well, what do you know - ALL of them had much lower price. Virtually All of them<<<

And all of the ones you've listed as the ones you've checked, are consolidator or reseller sites that do not disclose where they obtain their inventory.

>>>Can anyone advise, is there any booking site that would fall under the accepted category, and can be used as a comparison to apply for BPG?<<<

Booking.com, Agoda.com, Hotels.com, Wotif.com and countless other direct contract OTA's.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 10:40
Parnu, Estonia
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia Best Price Guarantee - which websites they accept as

How can I tell the difference between a consolidator and direct contract website? What should I look for?

Expedia also refused amoma.com comparison, although it shouldn't fall into the category of consolidators. Go figure.

In booking.com it's just a few cents cheaper and I won't go down that road, that's ridiculous.

However, since other sites had it 50% and more cheaper, of course I'd wanted to book with that low price, but Expedia won't allow any cancellations without losing the paid amount.

Obviously I won't be using Expedia ever again :(

"Limited time offer with extra great prices, act now or the offer won't be available + plus Best Price Guarantee" - my a$$, really.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,077 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia Best Price Guarantee - which websites they accept as

>>>Obviously I won't be using Expedia ever again :( <<<

Does this mean that you are punishing their site for you 'not thinking long or doing any research before using them?

As KVE says, if BPG was easy to claim, they would be losing money hand over fist. It's a marketing tool, really, and like other 'offers' of this type it is highly restricted and most people are unlikely to benefit from it.

4. Re: Expedia Best Price Guarantee - which websites they accept as

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17