We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

Lancaster County...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

I have unfortunately lost $100 due to a reservation error made through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM. Our reservations were made well in advance for a hotel near BWI airport. As I always do a week or so before we travel, I notified the hotel to confirm our reservation. They in turn did not have a reservation. I immediately called stay park travel as they had already took a deposit from my bank. I was told that "the wrong confirmation number was given" and they would notify the hotel while I waited. I was then given a different number than what I was given at time of original booking. I was assured all was worked out. We then get to the hotel on the scheduled date to find that they do not have our reservation! We had to rebook through the hotel at check in, thankfully one room was available. Upon receipt of my bank statement, I noted a charge from a hotel, same name as the one we stayed at at BWI, but was in Philadelphia instead! I immediately made my call to stay park travel, however I kept reaching an answering machine which I left a message stating my issue. In the meantime I notify the hotel and the owner of the hotel chain to find that the charge was indeed made to the Philadelphia location due to a "no show fee" !!! No show, we never booked there or intended to be there!!! I received a call from the Philadelphia location verifying this information. I then call stay park travel to alert them to THEIR mistake, however conveniently they had no record of the original confirmation number, only the number that was given the second time after my call. By the way, they never returned my call from the message I left 8 hours prior!! The "manager" of stay park travel insisted that it was not their mistake and I need to dispute this charge with my bank!!! What???!!! My bank has nothing to do with this!! You all made the reservation in another city and "covered it up"! Now I am paying for a no show to somewhere I never intended to be at!!! The "manager" was extremely rude, did not know how to handle the situation and hung up on me!!! I also communicated with their online chat when I couldn't speak to a live person, who again was very rude and denied any wrongdoing on their end! Long story short, we lost money due to a mistake made by STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM which we initially booked through to save a few bucks, and ended up paying double the price!!! Lesson learned, we will call the hotel directly for any booking needs in the future. Just a word of advice, reconsider if you plan to use STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM, try another site if this is the route you'd like to take!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,828 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your situation.

For the benefit of all the readers, could you tell us how you came across this site? In addition, the website looks as though you can book online. Did you book online or by telephone?

Lancaster County...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

I was looking for hotels that we could leave our car while we were away instead of having to leave it at the airport getting another charge and this site came up. We have done this in the past, but went directly through the hotel, which is what I guess I should've done again as this is usually very convenient. It's nice to spend the night before near the airport and take the airport shuttle to the airport and back to the hotel upon return from trip. I actually booked online and called the customer service to verify all my online info after booking.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,828 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

This is a long shot but, is there any chance your nearest major city airport to your hometown is Philadelphia?

I'm only asking as many websites can default using locators, and you may have accidentally accepted a default listing

Lancaster County...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

No, I have the actual reservation that I printed out immediately after booking and it indeed states Baltimore. I also received an email confirmation after booking which states the same. I am by no means perfect and those things happen, but I definitely booked for Baltimore.

NC
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

Wow! That stinks! I've heard of this website from another travel forum (someone else also had a bad experience), but I must admit, I never use these sites when booking travel plans. I always book through hotel websites directly.

You need to go ahead and get the dispute going with your bank. However, you need to find out where they are located, take your email confirmation and file a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney General in that state. Also, you stated you also called to verify this info. All incoming calls into call centers are recorded, so you need to remember the date and time frame in which you called and require that the manager pull your recorded call to verify this info. I would also tell them you will be filing formal complaints with the BBB and AG with your confirmations and that you will be getting your money back,

You can get this corrected. Unfortunately, it will just take a little time and work on your end. However, I think $100 bucks is worth a little time and effort. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,828 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

Hello,

As far as I was aware, there is nothing mandatory about travel agents recording phone conversations, and those that do, are required by law to disclose prior to the commencement of the conversation. In some countries, the specifics of recorded conversation pertains to very specific parts of lawful business, and with travel, it's often the insurance component is what forces the requirement.

If anything, in the US, the recording of telephone conversations by non government entities is quite strictly regulated, especially in regards to storage of that information and accessibility.

Do you have further information or a link to travel agencies requiring to do this? I'd certainly like to learn more about it.

Lancaster County...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

Thank you so much Jenmaybe for the suggestion. I didn't really think about reporting them or trying to get any recorded messages...I will be working on this again tomorrow in hopes to get our money back. All I wanted is for them to recognize their mistake and make it right...I wasn't looking to cause any trouble with them. Anyway, I do recall a recording prior to our conversations that said "this call may be recorded for training purposes", not sure if this will help or not, but I'm going to give it a shot! My reason for posting this initially was to only alert people like myself who are looking for a great deal and to save some money, that sometimes sites are not always what they seem to be and to just use caution. I have certainly learned, and I will be going back to my original ways of booking through the hotels, it may cost a few more dollars, but worth it:) Thanks again!

NC
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

KVE--this falls in with my prior line of work. Only a few states do not allow the recorded calls, but most do. They are also able to keep these calls for a period of time, regardless of info that is contained in the call. It doesn't have anything to do with it being a travel agency, it's an inbound call center and those calls are recorded.

Jen--yeah, I know, it may cost a few more dollars, but it sure will save you a mega headache in the end :). Also, when booking directly through the hotel, you normally do not pay in advance and can cancel up to the evening on the date you are scheduled to arrive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,828 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

That's excellent stuff Jenmaybe, because it's not information that consumers get with great clarity. Now would you happen to know if recording is *mandatory* in the industry? That's the million dollar question. Because I know quite a few countries that do not.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 01:11
NC
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be cautious booking hotel stays through STAYPARKTRAVEL.COM

It is not mandatory. Times have changed so much in the business world and things that normally would have required paperwork or a customer's signature can now be done via phone and that serves as proof of the customer's request. That's why inbound call centers record the calls to serve as proof of the phone call and the info that was provided in that call.