We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

Flagstaff, Arizona
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

Hi folks! I lived in Guatemala the year after college working for a social enterprise and getting to know the incredible country. I LOVED it and brought my husband back a few years ago. We're huge fans! We are planning another vacation for the end of May and want to go to another latin american place like Guatemala but new to us! We are on a budget and have only 7 days (May 10-17th). Where should we go and what should we do?

Things we love:

- some time by the water (beach/lake/whatever where you can kayak/swim/lounge/etc.)

- some time in a jungle/rainforest for low-key hiking, river-ride, exploring (safely)

- staying in cool eco-lodges, gorgeous cliff-side family-run hotels/hostels (but with electricity/running water)

- some time exploring ruins

- possibly pass-thru time in a cute town or small city like Antigua, Guatemala

- adventure excursions like zip-lines, whitewater rafting, taking a boat tour, snorkeling, 1/2 day hikes to see amazing sites like volcanoes, waterfalls, etc.

We're not uber-adventure or relaxation travelers (aka do NOT want to spend 10 days hiking or rafting or sitting on a beach doing yoga) but definitely love opportunities to do a little bit of a few different things and really explore different aspects of a country's culture, people, amazing natural/historic tourist sites, etc.

We loved spending time in places like Lake Atitlan, Semuc Champey, Tikal ruins, Antigua, etc. and could use your help to plan our next adventure.

Please share!! Muchas Gracias!

Kelly

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

Have you considered Costa Rica?

Flagstaff, Arizona
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

Thanks! Any particular places you'd recommend?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

The southwestern part, near the Osa peninsula is beautiful. It is wetter and greener than the arid northwestern part. You can fly in there from San Juan, the airport is in Palmar.

Another country you might consider is Dominica. It is quite mountainous with a boiling lake which can be hiked around, lovely waterfalls, and of course there is also great snorkeling. It is not that easy to get to however but the boiling lake and the champagne reef are quite amazing.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,362 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

Costa Rica is fabulous and if you like wildlife....it abounds on it's own in the wild. Monkey's, sloth, you name it. But you can do everything you would like to do in CR.

Around Arenal Volcano and Manuel Antonio are great places for everything if you can't go real far away from San Jose. There are intercountry airlines that can get you most places however you must travel light. There are also plenty of driver's available.

If you get interested in CR.....check out their forum for more details and for a driver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

Have you planned your trip yet? If you want, we could communicate and I could give you some pointers. Please feel free to send me a PM and I could give you my contact info.

6. Re: Got Ideas for 7-day eco/jungle/water/fun Vac like Guatemala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions