Hi folks! I lived in Guatemala the year after college working for a social enterprise and getting to know the incredible country. I LOVED it and brought my husband back a few years ago. We're huge fans! We are planning another vacation for the end of May and want to go to another latin american place like Guatemala but new to us! We are on a budget and have only 7 days (May 10-17th). Where should we go and what should we do?
Things we love:
- some time by the water (beach/lake/whatever where you can kayak/swim/lounge/etc.)
- some time in a jungle/rainforest for low-key hiking, river-ride, exploring (safely)
- staying in cool eco-lodges, gorgeous cliff-side family-run hotels/hostels (but with electricity/running water)
- some time exploring ruins
- possibly pass-thru time in a cute town or small city like Antigua, Guatemala
- adventure excursions like zip-lines, whitewater rafting, taking a boat tour, snorkeling, 1/2 day hikes to see amazing sites like volcanoes, waterfalls, etc.
We're not uber-adventure or relaxation travelers (aka do NOT want to spend 10 days hiking or rafting or sitting on a beach doing yoga) but definitely love opportunities to do a little bit of a few different things and really explore different aspects of a country's culture, people, amazing natural/historic tourist sites, etc.
We loved spending time in places like Lake Atitlan, Semuc Champey, Tikal ruins, Antigua, etc. and could use your help to plan our next adventure.
Please share!! Muchas Gracias!