We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta vs Playa del Carmen for Wedding

Sacramento...
3 posts
Puerto Vallarta vs Playa del Carmen for Wedding

Trying to decide between Puerto Vallarta and Playa del Carmen for a beach wedding.

Looking at early Jan, mid April, or June.

Likely about 20 guests, mostly adults, only one child age 7 (my son - and I want it to be fun for him too). Most traveling from California.

Any insight, pros/cons of each, suggestions, recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated! Both look amazing and we are stumped as to which would be better!

1 reply
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
21,419 posts
15 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta vs Playa del Carmen for Wedding

Sunsets and Mountains in Puerto Vallarta, sunrises and white sand beaches in Playa...

PV is one of my favorite cities in the world. Amazing scenery, beautiful beaches, sunsets, mountain backdrops, gorgeous architecture, gorgeous food, easy to get around, fab resorts, etc. More Mexican feel than Playa, IMO.

Playa is another wonderful city, a bit more eccentric (we often liked it to cross between beach town and Vegas. Great city, but beaches can be narrow and filled with sargassum at times due to currents, sea conditions, etc. But when it's good, it's great! And there's a lot of adventure parks, centotes, ruins, etc arou6also. Great dining, easy walkable town, great resorts, etc.

Both airports can be crazy on weekends - try flying mid-week!!

Playa is an hour or more from airport, PV is 15-25 minutes...

If coming from California, PV may be easier to get too..

Both are beautiful. I'm a sucker for sunsets though... So, PV for me..

Reply to: Puerto Vallarta vs Playa del Carmen for Wedding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.