We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

A reservation was booked using my card in Greece. The dates went through as 25/3/18 - 28/3/18.

The intended reservation was 25/6/18 - 28/6/18.

I called Hotels.com within one hour from when the booking was made (literally an hour). Hotels.com called the hotel who refused to refund or alter the booking.

I am currently in Australia and had/have no intention of going to Greece today.

I called the hotel directly to plead with them to reconsider in the hope that speaking to the actual person who suffered substantial loss from this innocent mistake. They refused.

Is there anything I can do that anyone is aware of? I see EU cooling ofd periods do not seem to apply to hotel bookings.. I am pretty distressed by all of this.

6 replies to this topic
South of England
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

It would be down to the discretion of the hotel. It seems both Hotels.com and you have made contact with the hotel and a request not to be charged has been rejected by them. Very unfortunate. No EU protection or rules can help I am afraid. The only other thing I can suggest is another call to the hotel, request to speak with the manager on duty, be very very polite and offer to eat humble pie.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

Thanks for the reply.. yes that seems to match what my own research indicated.

€780 is very exspensive punishment for a very basic oversight that I tried to fix immediately.. I am not a wealthy person, this is one week of my wages. I find it particularly cruel of the hotel to take this stance.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,459 posts
6,369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

I have to believe that if you ensure that you are staying with them in June, not March due to booking error, that the hotel manager will accept and allow you to transfer your booking dates. Again, call and be as polite as you can. Accept that it was a terrible mistake on your part and plead that you very much want to stay with this property in three short months if they can transfer the travel dates on your behalf. This is really he best option you have at this time.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,893 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

Sometimes we need to take responsibility for our own mistakes, it was your mistake. It’s so important to keep checking that you’ve got the right dates. It is not the hotels fault.

As your booking is imminent and over Easter the hotel might have turned away bookings for Easter. Why should the hotel loose out for your mistake, non refundable is just that, what don’t you understand?

We’ve all made mistakes and need to take responsibility for them.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

It won't hurt to follow Bradjill's suggestion of trying again. You might get a bette rresponse, but if the hotel has already said no, I wouldn't have high hopes of them changing their minds.

This sad tale is yet another illustration of how important it is to put the right information in when booking anything, whether it's the correct names for flights, or the correct dates for hotels, or anything else that could potentially cost you.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com

I had one experince whereby my phone was stelen and i did not bother to check my email,forgetting that i saved my card details on booking.com (Thats the only app I did that).

Aftr 1 week, I leisurely checked y emails and SHOCKED to find thousands of emails with booking.com. There are several booking that already been checked-out (These are cheaper hotel, guess they wont bother checking the real guest name), but I had several 5 star non-refundable booking.

Spoke to Kelly, representative of booking.com, she solves the issues with all the hotel, none of these hotels charged me.

I suggest you to call and try again.

Maybe next time, booking.com is a better option than hotel.com, very friendly and helpful

Edited: 29 March 2018, 06:26
Reply to: Non-Refundable booking on Hotels.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted