We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe fall 2018 paris,vienna, switzerland,italy

2 posts
Save Topic
Europe fall 2018 paris,vienna, switzerland,italy

Hello ,

We are planning a trip to Europe 18 days. From USA to Paris and again back to states via Paris.

We thought of doing Paris 2 days. Paris to Vienna via flight 2 days in Vienna . Vienna to Rome via flight and probably Florence and Venice via car . Finally florence or Rome to Switzerland not sure how to travel and then back to Paris. Is this crazy? We want to do more of swiss. Not sure how many days it takes in italy. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

3 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,040 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe fall 2018 paris,vienna, switzerland,italy

Have you allowed travel days?

You are travelling between countries so you have ½ to airport, 2hr security, flight, baggage reclaim/customs/immigration , ½ to the city. Then you have to travel to your hotel and check in to leave luggage.

Why go in a circle? Why not fly into Paris - Switzerland - Austria - Italy and fly out from there. You could probably do most of that by train. Trains leave and arrive in city centres and no security so that would save min 3hrs on the journey and you get to see the countryside.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,912 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe fall 2018 paris,vienna, switzerland,italy

Not a good itinerary. Too much traveling.

You should fly into the first city and return home from the last city. Why take the time and expense to return to Paris?

2 days in Paris is 3 nights.Travel will take a full day, considering getting to the Paris Airport, clearing, flying and getting from Vienna airport into city central.

You could consider an overnight rail from Vienna to Rome or same long travel day with the airport commutes.

When you finally arrive Rome, the last thing you want is a car in Italy!!! Rome is a walking city, Florence has "no drive and pedestrian zones" and car parking it $$$$. Venice allows NO cars. You can rail from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice.

If you must go to Switzerland from Northern Italy you can do that by rail. I would then return home from Zurich.

Please take a look at the map and work this out. I personally do not know how you can do all this, see anything long enough to get much out of it. Most of your time will be spent unpacking, packing and getting on and off transportation to go somewhere else.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,830 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe fall 2018 paris,vienna, switzerland,italy

I always write out my plkans day by day like this:

Day 1 Travel from South Wales to Paris. Leave at xxxx, arrive at hotel approx xxxx.

Day 2 Sightseeing in Paris

Day 3 Day trip to Versailles

Day 4 Travel from Paris to Vienna. Leave hotel at xxxx, approx arrival time in Vienna

hotel will be xxxx

And so on. I find this gives me a much more realistic idea of how much time I will have in any given destination. It's a bit more work than just saying I'll have 4 days in Paris, 3 in Vienna etc, but it's a much better way to plan.

Edited: 03 June 2018, 15:10
Reply to: Europe fall 2018 paris,vienna, switzerland,italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions