We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb Smart Pricing

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Airbnb Smart Pricing

Be aware that when booking through Airbnb they have a form of smart pricing, for example if you book from Australia for accomadation in Malacca it will be 30% more expensive than the same room booked on Airbnb from Singapore. I was able to find this out when I had a friemd in Singapore looking at the same accomadation at the same time.

This form of pricing is not new. Taxi drivers have long employed similar pricing based on whether they think you know the local price, and judging your ability to afford a premium.

My vehicle of choice for a Taxi is Grab and for accomadation I am seeking a alternative to Airbnb.

1 reply
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,608 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb Smart Pricing

I’ve never used Airbnb as private rentals are illegal for short stays of under 3 months in Singapore so I don’t book them for my regular trips there. Wouldn’t use Airbnb for any city anywhere as I have seen lots of complaints and also don’t want to stay in someone’s apartment. I also don’t like the idea of neighbours being disturbed by random tourists coming and going in and out of these Airbnb apartments or properties. I know the owners are doing it to make money but what about the neighbourhood....

I prefer Hotels, Guesthouses, Cabins in Caravan Parks, and Hostels when I travel. Or maybe a hotel room which has a kitchenette. As a solo traveller that’s all I need.

The subject of using Airbnb and its problems is discussed a lot on all the TripAdvisor forums. Some people love using it and recommend it constantly. You can type Airbnb into the ‘Search All Forums for” search box on this forums homepage link below and browse the search results:- https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ForumHome

Edited: 03 June 2018, 03:31
Reply to: Airbnb Smart Pricing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted