We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancellation cost when card is declined (booking.com)

Cancellation cost when card is declined (booking.com)

Hi, so I booked through booking.com and apparently, cancelled our reservation 4 days before our stay, meaning, beyond the dates allowed to cancel, thus receiving an email confirming the cancellation with a total cancellation cost to be paid. However, I believe the credit card I declared in booking.com has currently reached its limit and will possibly be declined.. Will I still be charged for the cancellation cost then?

2 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,155 posts
478 reviews
1. Re: Cancellation cost when card is declined (booking.com)

In theory, yes, because it doesn't get you out of your responsibilities under the contract you entered into when you made the booking.

Whether, and how, the hotel will pursue matters is an unknown at this stage. They might not bother at all, or they might pursue the debt with sopme vigour.

I'm intrigued by the use of the word 'apparently'. Are you saying that you didn't cancel the reservation? If that is the case, then I'd be making much more of a fuss about it, so I'm afraid I have to assume at this point that you did cancel, and are hoping that the payment will decline so you have effectively got a free cancellation.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: Cancellation cost when card is declined (booking.com)

Whether or not you have enough credit available on your card doesn't affect your liability to pay the charge.

Reply to: Cancellation cost when card is declined (booking.com)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted