We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia or Sri Lanka ??

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Malaysia or Sri Lanka ??

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend are planning to go away for a month in August and we are very torn as to where to go! We originally wanted to go to India but due to visa complications that won’t be possible this year and so we were then drawn to Malaysia/ Indonesia. However we read that Indonesia will be quite busy and touristy in August so we were decided on Malaysia until someone suggested Sri Lanka to us and now we have no idea!

We’re 25 and are more interested in beaches, scuba, jungle, ruins, hiking and temples etc rather than big city night life. We also want some delicious food and to see the country but would rather keeps costs down where possible.

Any advice is hugely appreciated- I realise these may be hard counties to compare!

Thank you 😊

3 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia or Sri Lanka ??

Have you checked the Things to Do in Sri Lanka‎ on TA : https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g…

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia or Sri Lanka ??

We’ve had a look at plenty of sites and forums but can’t really see a distinctive winner as there seems to be a lot of similar things to do, so we were just hoping for some advice from people who have been to both and have a definite favourite!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia or Sri Lanka ??

Malaysia is a fairly big country and you may need to travel by air between various places within Malaysia. In comparison Sri Lanka is a relatively small island and you could travel all the places using land transportation. With my long experience in both countries I would rate them as follows:

beaches: Both M & SL

scuba: Both M & SL

jungle: M

ruins & historical: SL

hiking: M

temples: SL

Food: Both M & SL

Wildlife: SL

Whale watching: SL

Reply to: Malaysia or Sri Lanka ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted