We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1800hotels

Dublin
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
1800hotels

Booked through 1800hotels.ie, linked through from this website. It now looks like they've gone bust!

Over in Italy at the moment, thankfully hotels have been helpful, but we are having to pay a second time as 1800hotels have our money and are not answering the phone or emails.

Could tripadvisod please warn others not to book through 1800hotels as their website is still taking bookings even now and customers will lose money!

Any advice from anyone is very welcome,

Thanks,

Mark

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1800hotels

"Could tripadvisod please warn others not to book through 1800hotels as their website is still taking bookings even now and customers will lose money!"

Hi Mark;

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. It is NOT a way of contacting TA staff.

Best Regards

boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1800hotels

I had booked a hotel in London for next month using 1800hotels. When I called the hotel this morning to check the status of my reservation, they told me that the booking had been canceled. Next call was to the credit card company (Capital One), and they were very helpful and willing to remove the charge. Mine was not the first call that they had received. So if you booked through 1800hotels, it's probably safe to assume that your booking will not be honored. Good luck to everybody in dealing with this mess.

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: 1800hotels

Do not use 1800hotels.com, They never booked my reservation that I prepaid thru them, when I arrived to the hotel I didn't have my reservation and I have to pay for a new one. We think they were out of business but the web site is still active, they don't answer the phones and it goes directly to the voice mail.

Wales (UK)
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1800hotels

Turned up at our hotel in Amsterdam on Sunday only to be told our reservation had been cancelled. While the hotel was able to put us up our room was downgraded and it has cost about £140 more than 1800hotels had taken out of our account.

Definitely the last time I take recommendations off the web. In future I'll deal with the hotel direct - it might even save me money!

Please TripAdvisor it would make sense if you only provided booking links with protected companies.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1800hotels

The reason I put this up on the website during my holiday was in case anyone else wanted to book with this company. As I was referred to the site by your website, I wanted to ensure that you were no longer doing so and that you removed any links to their site.

I was extremely annoyed to see your very petulant email and am contemplating writing to the management of tripadvisor about the way in which I was responded to, especially in light of the way that I was referred to the site by tripadvisor!

6. Re: 1800hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 00:39
7. Re: 1800hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 23:42
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1800hotels

Hi Mark;

I presume that your recent post is directed to me. This is not MY site any more that it is YOURS. As I commented above, the forums on TripAdvisor are member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. TA staff are easily identified by the prefix "TA" before their name, IE – TA Jack or TA Jill and the words TripAdvisor staff below it.

I would suggest re-reading my post. I was not criticizing your comment of 1800hotels. My comment was a direct reply to your request directed to TA staff.

“Could tripadvisod please warn others...”

The intent of my post was to inform you that posting your suggestion to TA staff on this forum would not be effective.

Best Regards

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1800hotels

Hi all,

I booked a hotel in Las vegas in April using this company - I too was worried stiff and expected the worst but to my surprise when I checked with the hotel directly, they confirmed my reservation had been made.

Hope everyone gets lucky in this, its not the cost as hopefully people paid by credit card and so will be covered. The main bug bear is that most like myself have gone for the best their money could get them, which on 1800hotels.com was quite alot and all the hopes and expectations that came with gwetting this deal

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1800hotels

I tried their website today and it looks like business as usual.

That being said, I would NEVER EVER book through 1800hotels.com. they are based in Ireland and apparently have little to no US staff if you have any kind of a problem.

I'm currently in a dispute with them for charging me a 20% cancellation fee on a reservation that was pointed out to them as incorrect within 30 minutes of being made.

Also, because they're effectively a European website, they use a Monday-Sunday layout for their reservation calendar unlike the Sunday - Saturday US layout. This can contribute greatly to incorrect bookings.

They're awful. Someone else will match that price, I'm sure!