We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Co op Travel!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Co op Travel!

I booked and paid for a 2 week break to Lanzarote - upgraded price of a "superior apartment" on arrival I was told that it was only a standard apartment that we had paid for! (nothing wrong with apt we got - just didnt have the facilities that the superior had! spoke with 2 other couples who had booked with Co op Travel, and the same has happened.

On return yesterday, I spoke to the rep at the travel agent (same one who booked us) all I got from her was "I will need to fill in a form" "It's only £40 each more for a superior anyway" which, I think is a cheek. that amouts to £80 SPENDING Money

83 replies to this topic
Hereford
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

Seems there are lots of reasons to be careful with co-op travel!!

Went to Pathos recently haveing booked with co-op but flew with Thompson fly.

Landed in the middle of a ground staff strike.

Outcome was no bags for 48hrs. All the Co-op said was 'go to the airport in the morning'.

All the other people at our hotel were on a Thompson Package and had their cases collected from the airport and sent to their rooms for them. Not us. We were left wondering whether the cases were at the airport or been delivered tio the wrong hotel. No co-op rep to help you. Just a joke helpline.

When we tried the famous 'emergency line' again, all we got was an answer phone. Never again will I book with these incompetants.

If it had not been for the great Staff at the Alexander the Great in Pathos, we would have had our holiday ruined by a company that should not be in business.

DO NOT BOOK THROUGH THE CO-OP!!

London
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

I used co-op travel to go to Turkey in October, did it all online - everything went smoothly and actually I'd recommend them, the rep wasn't from co-op but was local, he was the same though, just tried to sell you trips. I think if you have a problem the agents are all the same.

uk
Level Contributor
540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

Dave - Had you booked a 'package' holiday through the Co-op or was it a flight and hotel booked separately? Surely the onus would be on the Tour Operator, not the Travel Agent you had booked with.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

Not sure why the Co-op are getting blamed. They are a travel agent. Any alerts due to strikes would be on the airlines website. It's not the airline's responsibility to deliver your luggage from the airport, it's the tour operators, but if you don't use one it's down to you. Why would a travel agent have a rep at any airport, never mind an overseas one?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

Coop Travel

I booked a holiday and flights to Malia in jan 2012. The coop changed my hotel, i was annoyed but agreed, then they changed my morning flight which i paid extra for to a night flight without any refund. I also lost a day of my holiday.

This company have falsely advertised there holidays...you have been WARNED!!!!!!!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

Coop Travel

I booked a holiday and flights to Malia in jan 2012. The coop changed my hotel, i was annoyed but agreed, then they changed my morning flight which i paid extra for to a night flight without any refund. I also lost a day of my holiday.

This company have falsely advertised there holidays...you have been WARNED!!!!!!!!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

The travel agent doesn't change your hotel. Either the tour operator does or the hotel overbooks. They don't change flights either, the airline does. Nothing to do with the travel agent!!!!!!

Stoke-on-trent
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

Do not go to the co-op for a holiday they where good in the old days but bad today. I am a reverend and travel alot . I booked a holiday through co-op travel it was a disaster from day one ,we booked to go for a short break to benidorm with some friends we booked on line with co-op travel.Not realising we made a mistake and booked to go to stanstead instead of the midlands. WE got in touch with them some 10 mins later to say that we wanted to go from manchester,it was then that they told us that we would have to pay an extra £140.00 to cancel the flight and rebook it from manchester. This was discusting as the airline who we booked through in the first place easyjet said we could cancel aslong as it was in the 48 hours notifercation time,this we did then the co-op took us of easy jet and put us on a ryanair flight with no frills.This company in my opinion rips people off and dont care about there customers as long as they get there money out of your hard earned cash( please)( please) dont use this company yours faithfully Reverend Graham

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,893 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

>>>Not realising we made a mistake and booked to go to stanstead instead of the midlands. WE got in touch with them some 10 mins later to say that we wanted to go from manchester,it was then that they told us that we would have to pay an extra £140.00 to cancel the flight and rebook it from manchester<<<

Co Op Travel T&C - "The holidays and prices advertised on this web site are not 'live'. Although prices and availability of holidays are updated very regularly, holidays are subject to availability and prices can change at any time. When you make a search on our web site for a specific holiday, our web site will then check the live availability and the current price with the tour operator’s reservations system, therefore please allow for changes to occur before your final price is confirmed"

Unfortunately, in this particular case, 10 minutes or 10 seconds, would not have made any difference. Agents only have limited availability for what they can sell you - at the time, and should you require change, the original prices quoted for that product is null and void. It's akin to you telling a stockbroker - "I saw the shares at this price ten minutes ago..."

As for the cancellation and amendment policy - "Any cancellation or amendment request must be sent to us in writing and will not take effect until received by us. If you cancel or amend your booking the Principal may charge the cancellation or amendment charge shown in their Terms and Conditions (which may be 100% of the cost of the travel arrangements)"

London, England
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Co op Travel!

Seems to me that a lot of people here have no idea as to what they are booking.

Reply to: Beware of Co op Travel!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted