We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy or Morocco?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Italy or Morocco?

I am currently planning my next summer vacation in July 2013. I am about to fly from Jakarta to Istanbul by Turkish Airlines and stay there for about 3 days. After that I want to continue in between to Italy or Morroco for 5 days. Which one is more interesting, Italy or Morocco? Thank you very much for any advise.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
5,505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy or Morocco?

Hello h4r10,

Impossible question to answer. Both are very interesting. Have traveled to both and include them in my Top Ten countries in the world to visit. However, if you had to choose one, I'd go with Italy due to the sheer volume of world-class attractions (museums, galleries, churches) that can be found in this country. Its really second to known in this regard. I'd concentrate my time on Rome, Florence and Venice and nothing else for your first trip. You'll get more in these places than anywhere else in Europe and have seen one of the genuinely best trio of cities to visit in the world. Having said this, Italy is not cheap and you'll need to think about your visa situation if you carry a Indonesia passport.

Morocco is a great country to visit, lots of unique and very interesting things to see and places to visit. For many it is not in the same league as Italy for travel purposes but I personally liked Morocco very much, considering it a genuinely unique place to visit as well. Also, it might be cheaper to visit compared to Italy, depending on how you intend to travel.

In comparison terms, as much as I like Morocco, Italy is almost a hands-down winner for most people. Because I don't know you or what you like in travel it is impossible to say which is better for you individually. For that you will need to do your own research and decide based on what you like about each of these countries. However, I can suggest based on what I believe would be the best for the majority of travelers and that would be to make your first visit to Italy.

What a great problem to have deciding between trips to Morocco or Italy.

All the best and good luck in making your decision.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy or Morocco?

Hello BradJill,

First of all, thank you very much for your detailed suggestion, I appreciate it so much. Yes, I have been doing some reading about Italy and Morocco from many sites. Both are interesting. In term of budget, I realize that Italy is more expensive compared to Morocco. Especially for me as Indonesian, I have to spend some money for visa application and travel insurance to get the visa. It seems I have to think again about the options. Though choice. But again, thank you very much for your rsponse.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
5,505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy or Morocco?

While not endorsing these tours, what I can suggest for Morocco is to study the following trip itinerary offered by Dragoman.

dragoman.com/holidays/…moroccan-explorer

They offer a good rough guide for popular attractions in Morocco and some good routes for how to visit them. By studying them you can get a good idea for what you might want to see and how to visit the attractions you like there.

Good luck in making your decision.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy or Morocco?

italy for cities. morocco for desert.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,925 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy or Morocco?

I echo the sentiments in post #1, but must add if I had to choose, it would definitely be Italy, and I have been to both .................but what do you REALLY want to see the most............this should help you pick.....

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy or Morocco?

Regarding to this Topic as Moroccan, been long time in Morocco than Italy, i have been to Italy and found very interesting Country, it has a lot to offer, Morocco as well, and i would really high recommend Morocco not because it's my Country, it's because has a lot of contrast that a traveller might need to see during the travel, it has a strong culture of berbers as the native Morocco people, it has a very ancinet historical medinas, Medieval and imperial cities that has a lot to offer for reality of Morocco, it has sunny weather that Most of Travellers need to have depends on where they are, Bradjill gives enough description as i have read the Trip reports made by Him.

Italy has it all except the desert and the strong culture by locals, I like Venic and Rome a lot, so 5 Days might fit your trip to Italy, don't Think Morocco is cheaper that's wrong idea Morocco is for all Cheaper and expensive, Italy as well, it's for budget travellers too, Just don't recommend for the summer because it's very hot, and most of the Travellers keep at the coastal lines Cities Like El Oualidia, El Jadida, Essaouira, or at the northen part Tangier, Chefchaouen.

So in case it happens to chose Morocco, i'd recommend to stay at the northern Part, Visiting Tangier, Chefchaouen and Fes . or if you land in Marrakech give 2 Days for it, and Have a day Trip to Essaouira, and 1 Day to the High atlas Mountains, Kasbah Toubkal is highly recommended.

Hope this details will help, but keep in mind 5 days will just open your apetite to travel More in both countries, both worth it.

Im with Italy Suggestion for July Trip, if it will be another time of the Year, i would then highly recommend Morocco, with a Trip including the desert, the Thousand Road Kasbah and the imperial cities too.

Regards.

H

7. Re: Italy or Morocco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2013, 10:17