We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Has anyone used this company in the last 6 months?

If so, did they come up to your expectations?

We are considering a holiday to Malta and Gozo with them in the New Year!

334 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,881 posts
5,896 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Hello G A M

If you go to the Tripadvisor Homepage and type Mercury Direct into the main Search Box, an endless list of referenced forum pages come up. Here the top there is one from the Malta Forum that was started in August 2012. This would be a good place to start with your research.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190311-i348-k5717…

I didn't look long but I suspect there are more hits on the Malta forum if you look there as well.

Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

2. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2015, 08:42

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Being that I'm just about to email Mercury Direct to complain about their customer service I am not surprised to read the above review. After what has happened to me I am left with the feeling that Mercury Direct really need to look at their systems to ensure they are meeting clients' needs. I have spoken to two members of staff who are homeworkers (nothing at all wrong with this provided they can give accurate information and also can deal with your case) and also one staff member who was the second person who didn't make any notes of our conversation on the computer. Then another staff member gave me different information again and promised that another department would get back to me urgently and I had to phone them again two hours later. Eventually, in a real state of stress, because I couldn't go on holiday due to illness and had found someone who could use it, I found someone who did respond promptly and accurately and helped me to sort it out in the end. I won't be able to trust using them again.

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Dear Madaboutthefood,

My name is Charlie from Mercury Direct, firstly let me apologise for the difficulties you have had when speaking to our reservations consultants, however I am glad to hear that the issues with your booking were solved in the end. I would still like to investigate this with you so we can understand and improve our performance in the future, with that in mind please feel free to email me with any feedback at online-ops@mercurydirect.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Plymouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

We travelled to Sri Lanka with Mercury Direct last March ( 2012) and all was fine - or so we thought until we received a letter in November 2012 from the hotel ( Induruwa Beach Resort) advising that Mercury have not paid the hotel and we are now liable. That was followed by a letter from Mercury explaining there was a legal dispute between them and the hotel which was being sorted. We thought that was the end of it - but no - I have now received a letter from the hotel ( June 2013) that the matter has now been referred to a debt collecting agency so we are being used as pawns in their legal battle. Rang Mercury and left messages twice yesterday for Maria the office manager to ring me back - guess what NO phone call. On my next day off I will be asking to speak to the managing director (why should my address be blacklisted because MERCURY haven't paid the bill - I'VE PAID THEM so don't feel I should be dragged into this - no doubt there are many others.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

I can only speak for the one time we travelled with Mercury Direct, which was to Kerala, last October. Everything ran like clockwork from start to finish. The booking staff were knowledgeable and most helpful, flights were great, hotel incredible, tour rep. was just amazing as was our private driver we had for the add on tour we had booked. In forty years of overseas travel, I've seldom had a trip go as smoothly or be so well planned. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Wigan, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Travelled with them this August everything seemed ok at first until the last day of the holiday when I was told the all inclusive ended at midday but seeing as I only checked in at 18.00 on Monday the 5th and have never been on an all inclusive before I thought it would have lasted for a full 7 days till the following Monday at 18.00. I rang Mercury from the maldives to ask why was I not informed of this as I was frustrated that it was 40 degrees and we were being charged 10 dollars just for a glass of water, there reply... What would you like us to do??? When I explained that I was never informed of this when I booked or in any of the following email confirmations they suggested i should of known as that's the norm!! Very bad customer service will never use again, stay clear, very BAD customer service!,

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Dear Dave D,

I am sorry to hear that you were not content with the end of your trip to the Maldives with us and that you found our customer service here in the UK unsatisfactory. Unfortunately your time of check-in is not taken into account when a hotel ends their all-inclusive package, and this is the same policy worldwide. It is therefore understanding that the hotel finishes its all-inclusive package at the same time as hotel check-out.

I hope that this issue did not inhibit from the overall enjoyment of your holiday. If you would like to discuss this further then please contact our customer relations department.

With kind regards

Emma Bugeja, Online Operations Director

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

I have used mercury direct several times, travelling to Cyprus,portugal,sri lanka, and malta. I mainly use them because of the no single supplements, but just recently I have noticed that they keep adding on other supplements, such as baggage ,now I notice that they are charging extra for transfers,although yesterday in the national press they advertised holidays to the Algarve,which included airport transfers.They know that when you reach your destination that you have to be transferred to your hotel! so why don't they include it in the price of the holiday, instead of trying to fool you into thinking their holidays are cheap. another thing that annoys me about them is the deposit £250 most companies only ask for £100 and to add insult to injury they don't even send a receipt when you pay off your balance.

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Have You Used Mercury Direct?

Dear Jackie,

Firstly I apologise for you not having received a receipt when you paid your balance. If you pay your balance online via our manage my booking portal a receipt is sent to your email address. If you would like to receive a receipt please let me know and I will request this especially for you from our Accounts Department.

Regarding the transfers: over the past year we have been trying to adapt to the changing demands from different clients whereby some are looking for the cheapest price and want to arrange their own transfers, whilst others like to have everything included. Our brochure prices and newspaper advertising prices do still include transfers, whereas some online channels whom we partner with such as Travelsupermarket do not. I hoped that this was clear on our website, however it is evident from your comments that this is not the case.

Customer satisfaction is extremely important to us, and we have taken your comments on board, as well as those that we have received by phone. We are now in the process of changing our policy to ensure that all bookings include transfers (except if you are making a booking without flights) so that we are providing consistency for our clients.

I hope that this has cleared up this issue, and thank you again for bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards

Emma Bugeja, Online Operations Director

Reply to: Have You Used Mercury Direct?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted