We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I've booked several hotels through hotels.com for an upcoming trip, and they all say "paid in full" in the email that hotels.com sent me, and in my account on the website, but it's been days and the charges haven't shown up on my card. Is this normal?

I would assume that if they have me listed as paid in full they think I've paid already, rather than paying at the hotel. I just don't want to wind up getting a bill with a massive late fee down the line from them because of their mistake.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
5,590 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

How long ago did you book online?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Holiday Travel forum.

Your situation whilst not common, is not unheard of. The email you have received is automated and can often take time for payment details to be confirmed by the hotel and your status updated.

For your peace of mind, I would strongly suggest the following

1. Check your credit card statement. Overseas transactions can often take sometime to appear.

2. At your earliest opportunity, contact each hotel directly by email and obtain a written confirmation of the paid reservation, rather than waiting for status update of your account with Hotels.com

Goodluck and safe travels.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 10:38
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

Thanks, I'll be sure to contact the hotels to see. For the timing, some were as along as a month ago, others about 48 hours. I've had situations before where a charge was "pending" for a while, but these haven't shown up on my card at all which is what has me worried.

Perth
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

Hi have used Hotels.com when I went overseas. They confirmed by booking but did not access my credit card account. When I got there (the hotel) they swiped my card (this is what they referred to as phantom swiping) and when I was ready to leave they actually re- swiped my card and it appeared ion my next Bankcard statement. Have never had a problem with this way of paying

Edited: 05 July 2013, 02:53
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

Hi ashandmarg,

How you described the payment process at the hotel is spot on.

The 'phantom' swipe of your credit card you refer to, is whats commonly known as a Pre-Authorisation. It's effectively a 'hold' request by the merchant to your financial institution.

The second swipe is known as the Sales Completion. This is a process whereby the 'hold' is converted to a 'sale' which then appears on the card holder statement.

Until both processes are complete, the Pre-Authorised amount is eliminated from access, for a period of up to 72 hours, at which point it auto expires and releases back to the credit card.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

Hello all

I asked to cancel my pension booking, nearly 3 weeks before the arrival day.

What is the policy for the charge ? (it was paid by credit).

Thanks,

Gil

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

Hi gil

Hope this helps.

CHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS

You can change your guest name, bed type, smoking preference, special requests, accessibility options, room type, number of guests and travel dates at no charge to you by Hotels.com. Lodging suppliers may impose other change and/or cancellation fees. Charges vary by reservation, so please review your confirmation email for details

Each hotel has its own policy that we're required to uphold. You can find your hotel's change and cancellation policy on your Bookings page and in your confirmation email. If your booking is nonrefundable, or if the hotel's cancellation deadline has passed, you won't get a refund and the hotel might charge you a cancellation fee.

Margaurite

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

I booked it a week ago, for the end of the mounth...

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

You will need to read the hotel's cancellation policy gil!

Margaurite

10. Re: Hotels.com Credit Card Charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions