We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STAY AWAY from BudgetPlaces.com!!!

san diego
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
STAY AWAY from BudgetPlaces.com!!!

I am taking the time to write this review to spare others from a poor travel experience. I am an experienced traveler and have done online bookings worldwide. I've used reputable sites in the past, expedia, travelocity, etc... Thought I'd give another site a shot and save a little extra as this site promises to provide rebates to be used for future travel. It's the most horrible reservation site I've ever used. It's as if it's run by a one-person office.

1. POOR Customer Service - When calling the USA customer service phone number during their stated office hours, NO ONE picks up the phone! Since I didn't get my email confirmation, I became concerned. I followed their online instructions and called and emailed them. My emails were not responded in a timely manner as well. I finally got 3 calls from them at 7am PST when I became irate on the phone. Follow-up emails took 1 week for a response.... again, only after threats have been made.

2. BAD Website - I tried to sign up for their 'mybudgetplaces' account to keep track of my reservation as suggested on their site and kept getting error messages. I decided to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox... same problem. I asked for help online and they took a long time to respond via email.

3. BAD Cancellation Policy - when I finally had enough of them, I canceled my reservation via email. Again, no cancellation email from them. And since I couldn't log properly into my account, I clicked on 'forgot password' and it states my email address could not be recognized! They certainly had no problem charging my credit card and showing my email address on a confirmation that I had to beg to get?? Then after threatening poor reviews... voila, I got an email response from them stating the the deposit paid into the reservation is being deposited into my account - an account I can't get access to! BEWARE that you will lose your booking deposit to their bogus account and not back to your credit card, unlike other agencies like booking.com or venere.com which offers free cancellation.

At this point, I don't care if I lost my booking deposit of US$11+ if I can spare many others from this horrible experience. It adds undue stress to the experience - not worth it! Many better sites out there. By the way, I have my credit card bill, phone time stamped of missed calls at 7am, dated untimely email responses from them. Let the facts speak. I wish I had looked at prior TripAdvisor reviews before I booked that hotel. Oh well, lesson learned.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,361 posts
5,590 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STAY AWAY from BudgetPlaces.com!!!

A basic search for 'budgetplaces.com' reveals a few past discussions for this company on other TA forums. Here is a link to the search find results.

www.tripadvisor.com/Search…

There are a couple posts, May and July this year but the rest seem to be dated.

2. Re: STAY AWAY from BudgetPlaces.com!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions