We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking. com hidden fees and charges

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Booking. com hidden fees and charges

Anyone booked with booking.com? I've booked with many sites in the past but booking.com are very cheeky.

Booked a hotel stay with the page on the hotel saying 'no credit card fees or hidden fees'. On confirmation page it asked for my credit card details. I don't have a credit card but entered my debit card. The page clearly said 'we will not charge your credit card. Your credit card is needed to secure your stay'. I thought fine, it may be a security thing.

12 hours later I get an email direct from the hotel saying that my payment didn't go through (I didn't have enough funds in my account). I updated my account and they charged me.

I was charged with a horrid exchange rate and a $17 credit card fee. I thought there were no credit card fees. Booking.com tell me THEY charge no credit card fees but right at the bottom of the page it says the hotel does. I then explained that I didn't use a credit card and used a debit card. I was told that i entered my credit card details to secure the room. I said yes but the page said that this was just to secure my room. I also explained that the confirmation email says 'the price I was quoted is the price I will pay'. Again they said that was the price I paid but with the credit card charge. Lol.

Also I was charged a $25 international payment fee by my bank it would seem. I thought booking.com were an international business and I wouldn't be stung by these hidden fees.

I have booked many times before with hotels.com in many countries and never had this problem. The price I saw WAS the price I paid.

Never going to book with them again as there are many hidden fees even though they reassure you that there are not any.

Anyone else had this experience?

235 replies to this topic
leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

the way i see it is... correct me if im wrong

debit card is not recognised worldwide, yes it does say visa on it, but it is not a credit card

they work differently

i worked this out thinking the same on my first trip abroad, i used my debit card to pay for somethign and i was charged a handling fee at both ends, whereas a credit card your charged at one end or in some cases where it says no credit card fee then, yes it should be that

then again, i dont use booking.com as there dont seem to have good feedback on the internet

Edited: 20 January 2014, 22:47
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,460 posts
6,374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

Hello Rockfarmer,

Welcome to the Holiday Travel forum.

It seems to me that your issue here is with the hotel and with your bank and not www.booking.com.

>>>>>12 hours later I get an email direct from the hotel saying that my payment didn't go through. I was charged with a horrid exchange rate and a $17 credit card fee<<<<<<

Keep in mind that booking.com is an OTA and they facilitate the reservations, they don't charge you directly. It is the hotel itself that charges you after the booking has been passed to them by www.booking.com. It is actually no different with www.hotels.com. You can see this on your bank billing statement. You will not have a charge from booking.com directly but from the hotel or whatever billing service they use to collect credit card payments online.

>>>>>Also I was charged a $25 international payment fee by my bank it would seem. I thought booking.com were an international business and I wouldn't be stung by these hidden fees<<<<<

If your bank has levied a $25 fee on you for international payment, why are unhappy with booking.com? It is your bank that charged you the service fee, not booking.com or even the hotel itself in this particular instance. Check your bank account terms & conditions or just call them directly to discuss the imposed service charge for the transactions.

Sorry for your negative experience. It is never nice when charges show up that we are not expecting. It does seem, however, in your case that the problems rest with your use of a debit card and not a credit card and with the hotel and bank charges, not with booking.com.

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

I dont accept that at all. All over booking.com it says no credit card charges or hidden fees.

There is no asterisk to state that the hotel may charge such fees.

You say hotels.Com is the same but it's not. I have booked many many times before and never paid these hidden charges. I pay hotels.com directly and therefore do not get charged international payment fees or anything else.

Do you work for booking.com? People should be aware there ARE hidden fees and I have never encountered this issue with hotels.com. Don't sugarcoat it. It's not fair for others. I am relatively Internet savvy so others who are not should at least be aware of this.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 00:47
leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

first of all, booking.com says no CREDIT CARD FEE, you paid with a DEBIT CARD

the price you saw was the BIGGER figure in a different currency?

if so then this is the price you agreed to, if a smaller bracket is in £, then that is a approx price, but not guarenteed (this is normal on alot of websites)

also $17 CREDIT CARD FEE, who charged you this? hotel? bank?

if its the hotel, 9/10 times is becasue you've used a debit card and not a credit card (they are both different)

also, why are you taking your anger out on bradjill, he's just giving you a feedback, and you dont like it

if your a internet savvy as you say then you should know about booking.com, or at least read the terms and conditions of a booking

in your case, only a few hotels will accept a debit card payment and you will be told on the payment page

Edited: 21 January 2014, 01:15
leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

just had auick look

when you booked was there 2 prices and also in bold booking conditions, you'll pay in hotels currency???

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

I dont accept that at all. All over booking.com it says no credit card charges or hidden fees.

There is no asterisk to state that the hotel may charge such fees.

You say hotels.Com is the same but it's not. I have booked many many times before and never paid these hidden charges. I pay hotels.com directly and therefore do not get charged international payment fees or anything else.

Do you work for booking.com? People should be aware there ARE hidden fees and I have never encountered this issue with hotels.com. Don't sugarcoat it. It's not fair for others. I am relatively Internet savvy so others who are not should at least be aware of this.

Cute baby angel it was the hotel who charged me the fee and not anyone else. They said my debit card would be classed as a credit card and I would incur the credit card fee. They said all bookings would incur a credit card fee. Whereas on booking.com it says no credit card fees on the hotel page.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 01:32
leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

if i was you, take it up with booking.com

and gather evidence and state clearly its misleadign information if what you say is correct

like i said i dont know as i keep away from them

i use hotels.com expedia and a few times hotwire

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,460 posts
6,374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

Rockfarmer,

>>>>I dont accept that at all.<<<<

That is fine. You don't have to accept any of it but it doesn't change what has happened. The hotel charged you the extra fees - not booking.com The Bank charged you the service fee for using the debit card - not booking.com. Your gripe is fine but I believe you are directing it at the wrong party. I've tried to explain this above, you just don't seem interested in hearing my point of view on the matter. That is fine.

>>>>Do you work for booking.com?<<<<

No, I don't not work for booking.com nor am I affiliated with this business in any way. This is a silly thing for you to write. Nothing that I've written would warrant this insinuation.

Rockfarmer,

Sorry you are unhappy with your experience. The only thing left that I can suggest is for you to contact booking.com directly and discuss with them. There is a 24 hour customer service number you can find on their website. I've copy/pasted it here if you are unable to find. Their 24 hour customer services hotline is +44 20 3320 2609 (English)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,450 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

You can lead a horse to water...

>>>I dont accept that at all. All over booking.com it says no credit card charges or hidden fees<<<

So did Booking.com charge you? No

>>>but right at the bottom of the page it says the hotel does<<<

So if it was HIDDEN, how did you know it was at the bottom of the page? So it wasn't hidden.

>>>I then explained that I didn't use a credit card and used a debit card<<<

I think you should contact your bank to get them to explain to you how your card works. Debit Cards cannot be used for an EFTPOS transaction unless the card holder is at the merchant in person. So if you've provided it online, it can ONLY be used as a Credit transaction - as explained by C-B-A

I don't think BradJill and C-B-A can explain it any nicer to you. And the moment you asked whether they worked for a Booking.com, you lost all remaining credibility. It's no different from us asking whether you work for Expedia, because you sure seem to be pitching Hotels.com a lot.

doha
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking. com hidden fees and charges

Thats not true. Booking.com gave the details to a hotel its booking. Com responsibility to make sure that the card dos not get charged.

Reply to: Booking. com hidden fees and charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted