We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
179 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

I know it's a vague question and a big continent, but I'm looking for some hints.

My wife and I are looking for somewhere new to see in mid-2014, for about 3 weeks.

We are in our 60s, live in Brisbane, and have enjoyed travelling to Europe, North America, and Asia, but are now thinking of seeing a little of South America.

It would be business class, so no budget restraints (within reason!), but prefer not to spend half the trip travelling. We live near beaches, so don't need those particularily. We enjoy wandering the streets, seeing different cultures, and avoid tours and tourists!

So, any general recommendations of destinations, especially considering travel time from Brisbane? So far I have started looking at the T/A list of top destinations - Rio, Buenos Aires, Machu Picchu, Cusco, Sao Paulo, Santiago, etc.

Thanks,

BK

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

Hey there,

I lived in Argentina a few years back so can give you key places to go there - Ushuaia, Calafate, Buenos Aires and iguazu falls are the places that I would suggest visiting the most. Iguazu falls is absolutely amazing and you could then head to Brazil after since it's right on the boarder.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
179 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

Thanks, Cassie-Andy. I'm starting my list!

Cheers,

BK

Hull
Level Contributor
68 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

Is Argentina any good for NYE eve, can you recommend places to visit, or any nearby cities or countries next to argentina, we would be looking at travelling for 3 weeks Regards Sara :)

Edited: 29 January 2014, 16:24
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

Hey Sara,

yes it would be good for NYE. If your young (or young at heart) and like to party I'd say the best place would be Cordoba. Real party city, I was there for 3 weeks for my end of school trip and it was epic!

The city's i mentioned in my previous post is where I would recommend going in Argentina. From Argentina you could pop over to Chile quite easily and if you go to Iguazu falls it's right on the boarder of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay so you could easily go to any of those countries while you're up that way.

Hull
Level Contributor
68 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

Thanks for the advice, can you confirm if the weather will be warm in dec/january?

Sara :)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

Hi Sara,

Yes it will be warm in Dec and Jan getting warmer the further up the country you go.

7. Re: Three weeks in South America? (from Brisbane, Australia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22