We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getaway escapes scam

Geelong, Australia
1 post
1 review
getaway escapes scam

we bought our six airline tickets about four months ago and just decided to use them but we have got a deal at the same resort that they quoted almost $1000 more for, so it seems they are still operating but i notice there have been no posts since august 2012 ,is there a reason for this

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,653 reviews
1. Re: getaway escapes scam

Linking to existing Getaway Escapes thread on the forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12334-k6859723…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12334-k5820029…

Noosa, Australia
1 post
2. Re: getaway escapes scam

I have used Get Away Escapes before and they have been terrible. They are liars and scammers . They change their policy to suit themselves. they are not to be trusted i will be lodging an official compliant with consumer affairs and also initiating the media to expose and investigate their practice.

You would be very foolish to support this company in any way.

Very Upset Customer.

Wollongong...
3 posts
3. Re: getaway escapes scam

I was approached by these people today, in the guise that Virgin Australia has referred them to me, with "$999 worth of free flights"....it was quite apparent after about 5 minutes of grilling them that it was an attempt to get my ID photo, credit card details and signature.

SORRY GUYS - Good try, but NO...

When I continued to grill them, asking for details of their web site, contact numbers etc. they told me the URL, which I had a look at, and started asking them questions.

We were then cut off....

LOL.

Eagle Point...
1 post
4. Re: getaway escapes scam

Same happened to me today June 23rd). No way was 8 giving them my credit card details. I finished up hanging up as they would not stop talking

Canberra, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: getaway escapes scam

Hi

Happened to my dad on 24/6/14. He received a call and was offered a $799 holiday which could be taken over 3 years, excluding airfares but includes transportation to the "motel". Dad wanted to buy a holiday for his family.

Stupidly he gave his debit card details over the phone, (he's an old trusting pensioner guy who is not aware of scum bags out there who get pleasure out of scamming people. . After telling me about this I freaked out and then contacted the company who wanted him to sign a verification certificate and attach a photo ID. No chance. I told them I wouldn't be forwarding anything.

Dad's bank told me that because he paid with a VISA debit card it would take 7 days for payment to go though. In the mean time I have cancelled his card and on 1/7/14, if the amount of $799 (USA) or $992.42 AUD is taken out I will submit a fraud report with the bank to try and recover the money. Has anyone else been scammed into a "cheap overseas" holiday. I have had the travel scam phone call. I just hung up. Pathetic.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,911 posts
435 reviews
6. Re: getaway escapes scam

Hasn't there plenty of coverage about telephone scams over the last decade? Why do people still deal with an unknown organisation that calls you out of the blue? I am completely and utterly bewildered by it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
7. Re: getaway escapes scam

just got the same Virgin lucky phone call it sounded amazing but when I said I needed to do some further research the person just rudely hung up. I have been stung quite badly in the past visiting similar deals and time share etc events and would advise everyone to stay clear of these - there are plenty of great legitimate deal for holidays out there and whats this got to do with Virgin someone should tell them they are using their name for this purpose

cheers Marea

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
8. Re: getaway escapes scam

Also got a call, with Virgin mentioned, and 2 holidays for $999.00, after listening to one person from the sub continent, I was put onto another person with a North American accent, he started the hard sell, and implied it was sercure, I informed him I wouldn't be handing over my card numbers, then he hung up.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,653 reviews
9. Re: getaway escapes scam

You have saved yourself a lot of trouble, anguish and money!

At this day and age, a cold call, hard sell of unbelievable deals......A clear and obvious sign that something is not right. Legitimate businesses have more conventional business practices to this.

Tully, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: getaway escapes scam

Sure are still operating. I bought an airline ticket ($99 but it cost about $105 because they added other costs) and when the paperwork arrived I found out I could only get it if I booked so many days in a resort. Immedicately I phoned them and then was told to return everything and request a refund. They claim it takes up to 6 weeks for this to happen but I have been waiting seven weeks since they received my request for a refund and nothing yet.