We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help traveling 1st time asia

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help traveling 1st time asia

was wondering if you could help us

Me and my 2 friends want to go traveling we would like to do India Nepal Thailand Cambodia Laos Vietnam Bali areas

we want to travel for 5 months starting in november 2014

We want some advice

is ther anywhere else u recommend visiting whilst we're in these places any other country's u recommend

Can you give me some info on how we go about traveling do we get a round the world ticket or just book our flights

How much spending money would we need for 5 months ( doing it as cheap as possible hostels etc)

Really want to do this but ain't got a clue about how to go about it

Would £5000 be enough each

Is there any good forum website I can visit to talk to other travelers and get some iternery ideas that we could copy

Please help !!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,073 posts
5,332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help traveling 1st time asia

Hello Kezmo888

Welcome to the general holiday travel forum.

If you go to the Tripadvisor homepage and type 'round the world travel' or something similar in the main Search Box, you will find countless threads and discussions on this topic across the various TA forums. Certain forums like Bargain Travel Forum and Solo Travel forum seem to have lots of discussions and questions like yours (along with responses) for RTW travel. Also, SE Asia is discussed regularly so you should be able to pick up lots of tips and useful information.

It is also worth spending some time on the Lonely Plant Gumtree forums. This is a real backpacker hub of information that can help you kick-start your trip research.

With five months, I think you've a good amount of time to cover the destinations you've listed. Malaysia down to Singapore and the Philippines are also very popular destinations in SE Asia while many find India a great location for backpacking, a natural add-on to a visit to Nepal.

I'm concerned a bit with your budget however as backpacking isn't as cheap as it was 10-20 years ago. Inflation has driven up accommodation, transportation and food prices a lot in this part of the world so you may need to rethink your budget or potentially limit the number of flights you need to take during your trip (ie. Nepal and Bali in particular).

Assuming you are flying from London, you could easily make a flight to Bangkok or Singapore and begin your trip, making the classic SE loop through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Malaysia and Burma can be easily added on and there are direct flights from Bangkok to Kathmandu if you want to keep that leg of your trip. Bali is probably best flown to from destinations within Malaysia where you can use Air Asia, a low budget carrier that is popular in SE Asia.

It is also well worth your time to spend some hours going through the country specific forums here on Tripadvisor so that you can see what the backpackers are presently doing in each country. The Thailand and Bangkok forum in particular are very active with discussions. This can help you refine your list of countries (or at least places) that you want to visit during your 5 months abroad.

Anyway, this should be enough to help get you started with your trip research and planning. Good luck with everything and hope you enjoy your time in Asia .

2. Re: Help traveling 1st time asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21