We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

Hello all,

My girlfriend was denied boarding on a Norwegian Airline flight from Gran Canaria, due to over booking. As no one spoke English it was difficult to get any information at the time. According to Norwegian Airlines website my girlfriend is entitled to €400 compensation from Norwegian, she is still trying to sort this out after having no response from Norwegian. She has now had to write to the Spanish Aviation authority as the flight was departing from Spain.

Anyway as she missed her direct flight back to Gatwick (4 hours duration),they put her on another flight via Copenhagen (about 8 hours in the air total). However she was then to late for her onward flight to Jersey, so had to get a hotel and pay for another flight out in the morning. My girlfriend has travel insurance, however they have said they could not cover the hotel and new flight as she missed her flight due to Norwegian, so she needs to claim off them.

Is this correct? I thought that travel insurance would cover you for missing a flight if the circumstances are beyond your own control?

Anyone else had trouble retrieving the denied boarding compensation from Norwegian Airlines?

Thanks,

Dave

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

hi.

you may get better advice on the air travel forum

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

England, United...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

Hi, Dave,,

When exactly did this happen?

Did nobody really not speak English at the airport in Gran Canaria? If that is true, I'm amazed how hundreds of thousands of British visitors every year ever manage to get onto and off the island...

If she was actually denied boarding due to overbooking, she should have been given an appropriate " denied boarding" statement which would explain all her rights and not only how to claim them, but how to escalate matters if the airline concerned didn't meet their obligations, assuming they were actually responsible of course...

Missing a flight, and being denied boarding due to alleged overbooking are entirely different. Did your girlfriend not re-confirm her flight before she went to the airport, which is quite often required in Europe?

Please tell us more, or get your girlfriend to give us her version of events so we can see what actually happened rather than being asked to comment on 2nd hand allegations.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

I can assure you there are plenty of people employed in LPA airport that speak English. I agree with mondial's comments.

England, United...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

Herman,

The OP hasn't come back to give any more details, so I'm inclined to draw the conclusion that the substance of their alleged complaint wasn't necessarily either complete or true....

London, England
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

mondial

You are probably right and they are a one time poster.

England, United...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

What are the odds that the GF just missed her flight and told the OP a load of nonsense to cover up?

London, England
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

Norwegian is a LCC and I have never heard of LCCs overbooking and I have flown with EJ and Ryanair hundreds of times.

8. Re: Denied Boarding - Onward travel claim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions