We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

So I'm getting mixed comments from friends re my recent stay at a hotel in the South of France. The hotel's website clearly advertises air conditioning but when I get to the hotel they say it's switched off 'out of season' - despite it being a hot, sunny weekend in March!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187234-d1…

Hotel didn't seem to think they'd done anything wrong but surely it's a simple case of false advertising?

Any recourse available to me?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,139 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Hi Simon,

That's an awfully difficult situation.

Whilst I understand your disappointment, and completely accept there are unexpectedly hot days 'out of season', the property choosing to not operate, isn't *technically* the same as them 'not having' air conditioning. So the false advertising angle is going to be hard to argue. That, plus what constitutes a 'comfortable' temperature is very subjective, and you would have to substantiate/qualify significant evidence to prove a level of discomfort, if you were considering a legal approach.

It certainly isn't good service (to both guests and staff alike), but I fear your only recourse maybe some sort of resolution with the hotel management.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,877 posts
5,891 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Unseasonably warm temperatures can be annoying. They were blasting heaters in some restaurants and museums in Budapest this week even with the warm patch of weather. We were shedding more layers then we normally do in Europe this time of year and found ourselves wishing for a bit of A/C at times as well. Unfortunately, it is difficult to be upset with establishments in these circumstances. Best in these circumstances to just try to make due best you can and try not to let the weather circumstances ruin your holiday.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Thanks folks. I just wish the decision was mine (as the paying customer). There's a thermostat control on the room - let me use it!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Many hotels throughout Europe have A/C installed, but it is often not available during the winter months. Did the hotel description say it is available throughout the year?

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Nope but it didn't say it was only available in peak season either ;) I'd expect it to say if it wasn't available 24/7/365.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

The fact is that it was there. You have no recourse on the hotel not putting it on during the winter months. A/C costs an awful lot of money to run and many guests go out and don't turn it off. It may have been warm during the day, but I don't imagine it was so hot at night you couldn't sleep? If it was during the summer months, I would also complain as I hate being hot, but south of France or med in winter, no.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

So on that basis you'd be happy if a hotel said it offered WIFI but when you got there it only worked in the summer? Or if they had a restaurant but it only opened for a few months a year??

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,912 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

I wouldn't be happy, but I don't think there's much I could do about it. Especially if there was some sort of discalimer stating that facilites as described are subject to availability.

I have been to places where certain bars and restaruants are seasonal, swimming pools may be closed for maintenance for months on end and so on. It happens. It's annoying, but it probably isn't illegal.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 14:34
England, United...
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Hi, Simon,

Do you have AC in your bedroom at home?

it can get quite warm in this country too I believe, even in NUL.

Not sure what your credit card company can do for you about your " gripe" , or what you expect them to do about it for that matter.

Would an offer of cash compensation from the hotel make you feel any better about what can only, for a short stay, have been a minor inconvenience.?

I'm not unsympathetic, most people have had trips where something has not been exactly to their particular liking, and it's usually best to put it behind you and move on.

England, United...
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would YOU be happy with this? (air conditioning gripe)

Just checked Accuweather for temperature records for Nice this month and the highest daytime temps are 18 degrees on March 6th and 19 degrees on March 7th. Hardly blistering heat?....

Nighttime temperatures would be several degrees below that I imagine, in fact distinctly chilly in my view...