We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking online?

Corlette
6 posts
Save Topic
Booking online?

Hi, I am a single Mum with two teenage girls and am considering a holiday to Phuket for the three of us. My query is, should I book through a travel agent or do all my bookings online? I have travelled before, but quite a long while ago. I am hesitant about booking online as I am concerned if something goes wrong with my booking of flights or accommodation, I don't want to be stuck somewhere with two teenage girls.

Also when would be the cheapest time to travel?

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,546 posts
5,700 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking online?

Hello Alison F,

Welcome to the Holiday Travel forum.

For Thailand, it is usually ok to book online directly with hotels. We use a combination of direct bookings (hotel website) and Booking.com when visiting Bangkok and other destinations in Thailand.

What I would suggest is to try to book directly first if the hotel is mid to higher range. They will likely be established and with a reputation to protect so you don't need to worry about online reservation troubles. Also and by all means, do cross reference whatever hotels you are interested in with the property listings here on Tripadvisor to see what recent travellers are saying about the hotels.

If the hotel looks inviting but is somewhat down range (guesthouse, local boutique hotel) and you are a bit concerned about booking online, try going through www.booking.com to see if they represent the property. This is a good outfit for making hotel reservations, which are guaranteed and protected. In many occasions the properties they reserve for also offer free cancellations, which can be very handy if you end up with emergencies and need to cancel.

Anyway, hope this is helpful and that you find a nice property in Thailand. Good luck with your research and hope you enjoy your holiday in Thailand.

Corlette
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking online?

Very helpful information, thank you for your reply.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,546 posts
5,700 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking online?

No problem. Best of luck with your holiday research!

4. Re: Booking online?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions