We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday-finder with adrenalin and disability

Lincoln, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday-finder with adrenalin and disability

Trying to plan a two week holiday - unfortunately it has to be during the peak time of August.

I have mobility issues (childhood polio) and walking is limited. However, I am also a bit of an adrenalin-junkie - recent years holiday activities include scuba diving, sky jumping, mono sit-skiing, tall ship sailing. I do not (yet) use a wheelchair and can walk short distances, but rely heavily on my car for transport around to places. I love swimming though preferably away from the public gaze. When travelling on holidays I have to look for transport via bus/train/boat in order to see the sights, and an alternative has also been car-hire.

Any and all ideas are welcome. We have looked at various locations ranging from the Dolomites in Italy and French Alps to the Azores in the Atlantic and South Africa. Plus the USA – Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam, then also the East Coast as we only have two weeks. Really, anywhere would be considered – we like good scenery, visiting local sights, whale-watching and any other wildlife activities.

The main problem is trying to incorporate something a bit special (zip-wiring/helicopters?) that gets the adrenalin going – and the people/companies who could accommodate my disability in doing that something special.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,074 posts
5,942 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday-finder with adrenalin and disability

Hello harimel

Welcome to the Holiday travel forum.

You have listed some conventional destinations with many adventure type activities. Upon first reading your post I first thought of South Island, NZ followed by Cape Town and the Garden Route in South Africa, both destinations having quite a bit of adrenalin seeking activities you can try.

As for individual operators ability to handle disabilities, this is a question that would best be answered by the tour and activity providers themselves. What I might suggest is to pick a couple destinations and then repost these questions on the destination specific forums to see if the local experts have thoughts, suggestions and knowledge on the subject. There are dedicated forums for most destinations on Tripadvisor, including South Africa as well as South Island . From there you can begin to contact the activity operators directly and discuss their ability to cater to your needs.

Hope this is helpful and that you are able to find the perfect destination for your holiday.

2. Re: Holiday-finder with adrenalin and disability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 07:16