We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware booking.com

liverpool
Level Contributor
525 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
beware booking.com

What a complete cowboy company! I've booked many hotels via travel republic, alpha room, expedia etc etc etc

Daughter booked a holiday apartment in Lanzarote, day before the hotel called her direct to cancel the apt, after several calls. basically booking.com said she had to rebook and they would refund. But she had to pay there and then for another hotel, what a joke, thank god she hadn't paid a lot of money.

10 days later no refund, called them and basically we don't have an agreement with booking.com instead our agreement is with the hotel.

This most definitely isn't obvious, so basically no refund made unless hotel refunds, but they will try and get money back.

What a terrible company and lacking of any responsibility, so despite booking via booking.com and paying on their website, they are adamant that I pay the nothing and only pay the hotel.

Never will I use again, i'm not saying it's their fault the hotel cancelled, but as a consumer I expect when I use a website that they would protect me the consumer from this sort of experience and not basically wash their hands of the issues and leave me £250 out of pocket!!!!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
5,747 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beware booking.com

Hello kevc30

From reading your post, it would appear that there is misunderstanding of what booking.com scope of service. Did you read their Terms and Conditions (T&C), found on their homepage prior to making your hotel reservation through them?

If not, here is a link to their T&C page (see link).

www.booking.com/content/terms.en-us.html…

To address a couple points you have made to help out. See below.

>>> basically we don't have an agreement with booking.com instead our agreement is with the hotel.<<<<

That is correct. Booking.com is an intermediary, who simply collect and facilitate reservation transactions. You will find this clearly stated on Condition 1 - Scope of Service. See insert below.

1.) Scope of Service: "By making a reservation through Booking.com, you enter into a direct (legally binding) contractual relationship with the accommodation provider at which you book. From the point at which you make your reservation, we act solely as an intermediary between you and the provider, transmitting the details of your reservation to the relevant accommodation provider and sending you a confirmation email for and on behalf of the accommodation provider.........When rendering our services, the information that we disclose is based on the information provided to us by accommodation providers."

>>>>What a terrible company and lacking of any responsibility, so despite booking via booking.com and paying on their website<<<<

As an intermediary, you were not charged for your room by booking.com. Instead, your information was passed to the hotel which you choose and the hotel billed your credit card directly. See T&C Condition 5. See insert below if helpful.

5.) Credit Card: "Payment is safely processed from your credit/debit card or bank account to the bank account of the accommodation provider through a third party payment processor."

kevc30, what you can also do is simply check your bank statement. You will find a credit card charge coming directly from the accommodation, not booking.com.

In the end, from what you have described above, your issue is with the hotel directly. They have clearly done you wrong and owe you a refund. Best of luck in seeking resolution to your problem with them.

Lastly, can you let us know the name of the hotel that did this to you? Would be good to have that information on the Tripadvisor forums.

Best of luck with your situation and hope your future hotel bookings go more smoothly.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beware booking.com

The matter is most unfortunate, but it could not be better explained than what has been comprehensively provided to you by BradJill.

Booking.com is singularly, not only the largest 'hotel' only OTA in the world, but they also turnover the highest reservations in volume. And it is no accident they are so successful.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beware booking.com

"This most definitely isn't obvious,"

Sorry but it is really obvious. It's right under the room types before you make your selection :

".You will pay the hotel in the hotel’s local currency (€). The displayed amount (in AUD ) is indicative and based on today’s exchange rate."

And again...right there at the bottom of the booking page, long before you get to the payment stage. Under "important information" funnily enough! It says

" No booking fees. You only pay the hotel. Booking.com will never charge your credit card"

And once again on the payment page:

"*You'll pay ****** hotel in the property's currency (exchange rate may vary)"

What would they have to do to make it obvious to you?

liverpool
Level Contributor
525 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beware booking.com

I was making a point in relation to the fact that no refund is offered in the event of a hotel cancelling and basically down to me to try and get money back, I t wasn't my booking and first time my 17 years old has booked through booking.com, lesson learned I'll avoid in future.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beware booking.com

Booking.com is my number one choice if I don't want to book with the hotel. I've never encountered any problems. In fact, I've booked two hotels with them in the last two hours, and I found their terms of business very clear. It was pretty obvious that my agreement was with the hotel. Booking.com took no payment and made it very clear that I will be charged by the hotels in their local currency at the end of the stay.

I would agree with the other respondentst that your issue is very much with the hotel, and not booking.com. I don't work for them, by the way, I'm just a customer.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 18:10
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
5,747 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beware booking.com

Hello again kevc30

I'm glad this may serve as a good lesson for your daughter. Teaching young people about the necessity of reading T&Cs as well as the inherent difficulties (and potential problems) of making online transactions and payments is very important and I hope your daughter (and you as well) will benefit from this experience in the future.

What I might add is that it is very important to be careful when making posts like these on the TA forums. Misplaced accusations and complaints can have the effect of unjustifiably influencing future readers, who know no better. They might actually believe that businesses (like booking.com) have done something wrong, when in fact the issues and problems lie elsewhere. What the rogue hotel has done to your daughter is wrong, but so is misleading people about a 3rd party who wasn't responsible for the problem.

Further, when you accompany misplaced accusations and complaints with emotional language and outbursts (ie...calling businesses 'cowboy company' and 'terrible company'), you have to understand that you run the unfortunate risk of being discredited on the forums by those who understand how businesses like booking.com operate and none of us want that to happen. So just be careful with how you post going forward.

Lastly, as asked in (post 1), will you please reveal the name of the apartment that broke the transaction agreement with your daughter by cancelling her accommodation at the last minute? This would be helpful for future readers of the thread to know. Thanks in advance.

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beware booking.com

If your daughter was only 17 when she made the booking, in the eyes of the law she wasn't " legally capable" of entering into a contract with anyone. At 17, she is still legally a " minor" although if YOU made the booking on her behalf, then the T's & C's will apply to you and probably prevail.

This might or might not give you an edge in your dealings with booking.com.....

8. Re: beware booking.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 19:07
9. Re: beware booking.com

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Edited: 07 August 2014, 19:07
10. Re: beware booking.com