We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would / have / do -you ever go back to the same place twice?

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
246 posts
14 reviews
29 helpful votes
Would / have / do -you ever go back to the same place twice?

I ask this because when my hubby and I first started holidaying abroad 25 years ago (our honeymoon) we always said that we would never go back to the same place twice. Our reasoning was because we had very little money and the world is so big that it would be a shame and I think at the the time we thought, sad, to not find somewhere else to explore.

Well so much for our idealist youth ideas! I'll give you a bit of what might be a boring history.

We'd never go back to Lloret do Mar (our honeymoon - it was cheap!) because it just wasn't for us. Our next holiday after that was to Halkidiki with our then 1 year old, we stayed at Pallini Beach hotel in a fab little bungalow a few feet from the beach (which I don't believe exist anymore), after that we went to Zante (same country, different island) when I was pregnant with our second (6 years later!).

Then we went Canarian. Feurteventura when Caleta de fuste was just getting going, then Playa Blanca in Lanzarote. That was the first time we felt a 'pull'. We just loved the island and the Cesar Manrique places, Timinfaya etc and said we'd go back. First time we thought it. We ended up going back when I had a good job on a one week whim, but stayed in Costa Teguise.

After that we tried Ibiza. First trip was San Antonio Bay (really don't know why now but fell in love with Kumharas bar. We hired a car, found Portinatx and went back to stay there the year after. Absolutey still love that place but haven't been back yet.

Few city breaks inbetween...

Then, I lost the good job. But we'd already booked to go back to Halkidiki and stayed in Aeollos hotel Pefkahori and said we'd go back to see them (haven't yet, but hope to). It was about 15 years since our last visit and travelled by car to Kalithea and couldn't believe how much it had spread out and didn't appeal anymore. Went back to San Antonio bay on a rubbish 5 night break - spent every night in the 'west end' which was great for our then 14 yr old daughter. We just wanted to see Kumharas bar again.

In 2012 we booked Angel's pool in Paleokastrista, Corfu and totally fell in love. It was the most relaxing, enjoyable holiday we had ever had. Even hubby relaxed and he has a hard time doing that. Angela was amazing and I felt we connected. Skiathos the year after (beautiful, and need to go back there too, lol), but couldn't get Angel's pool out of our head. (Munich and the Isle of wight the year after Skiathos, lol).

So for our 25th Wedding Anniversary this year we are going back to Angel's Pool. Just the 2 of us this time. Not only are we going back to the same country (Greece) the same Island (Corfu), and the same resort (Paleo), we are for the first time ever going back to the same accommodation (Angel's Pool). I looked all over the world for our silver celebration but I could only think of this one place where I thought we would both be happy. If I won the lottery, I would buy the house next door.

Maybe it's an age thing? Sure, if I had lots of money I'd be all over the rest of the world as well, but as we are for the time being, on a budget I'd rather spend my pennies where I know we will have a fantastic holiday. Well, I hope it lives up now!

What are your thoughts and experiences? I've read many posts on the forums from serial returners. The 'boomerangers' to Skiathos and the folks who go to Sidari every year spring to mind.

Ana :-)

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
246 posts
14 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Would / have / do -you ever go back to the same place twice?

>>>After that we tried Ibiza. First trip was San Antonio Bay (really don't know why now but fell in love with Kumharas bar.<<<

Should have read as:" we don't know why we went to San Antonio Bay. But Kumharas is fab!"

:-)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
32,642 posts
12,485 reviews
27,209 helpful votes
2. Re: Would / have / do -you ever go back to the same place twice?

Neat question, Anaphase!

I believe it is reasonable if you have a sense of adventure and desire to explore to avoid return visits and to seek out as many new destinations as you can. During my earlier travelling years I followed this philosophy more often than not.

However, as I have matured (aged)and come to better understand my interests, there are a a fair number of places that I enjoy making regular return visits, a few have even become like second or third homes to me, places that I have come to understand quite well - at least in terms of directions, maps, locations, etc.

Having said that, we do try to make time each year to visit a new place or two or perhaps return to a place we've not been to for a long time. This year we returned to Penang, Malaysia after 11 years I think. It was great seeing this gem of a destination again. It is funny but after a fair number of years, thinks can change so much that it is like visiting a place for the first time. I remember certain bits of Penang from before and some of the attractions where the same. However, probably 80%+ of the trip was akin to a brand new experience for me.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
3. Re: Would / have / do -you ever go back to the same place twice?

We have a holiday home on our favourite destination island (Hamilton Island). It's great to go somewhere just to relax and rejuvenate, late sleep- ins, lazy days. Then we have holidays where we go to see new places. These holidays are longer, faster pace, little sleep and lazy is sitting on a train or bus moving between locations. On these trips we don't revisit ( or haven't yet) with the aim to see as many spots in this big world as possible. The visit is superficial but we like taste tests. Once we have covered all the places we want to see ( but it's a big world and a long list) , then we can choose to return, but for another fast pace trip , exploring different places there.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
120,467 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
4. Re: Would / have / do -you ever go back to the same place twice?

I would, have, and do go back to places I like over and over again. I also visit new places too. I suppose I'm lucky to have the time and money to do both.

5. Re: Would / have / do -you ever go back to the same place twice?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.