We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never seen snow. Need advice!

Lake Charles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Never seen snow. Need advice!

Kids are asking for a snow trip for christmas. Thinking of going on a short trip during Mardi Gras vacation (feb 12-16). Not interested in ski resorts. (Not enough time, money or skill) We would love a cabin in the woods to snowshoe, sled, and build snowmen. Any ideas?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,521 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never seen snow. Need advice!

Hi Mom1990;

No cabin in the woods, snowshoeing, but you could build a snowman if you were to visit Niagara Falls.

If you all have passports, you could walk across the Rainbow Bridge from Niagara Falls NY to Niagara Falls Canada !

Best Regards

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never seen snow. Need advice!

I'm sorry I'm just reading this. I think you want northern Wisconsin, Michigan or someplace along the "north shore" of Lake Superior in Minnesota.

Contact the state departments of tourism and they can give you lots of details regarding all the options you mentioned.

My experience in those places is as one who went to ski. But the other stuff is their in abudance as well. Snowmobiling is really a big deal in Wisconsin. Dog sledding is available at cabins on frozen lakes at the end of the Gunflint Trail (north of Grand Marais) in Minnesota.

As for expense and ski and lots of snow, yesterday (with 6 inches of fresh powder) would have been perfect at the little ski hill I teach at in southern Indiana. So, don't think that you can't learn to and have fun skiing though you've never seen snow before. I teach people that fit that description virtually every day. And, not bragging, just fact, I have yet to have a student that couldn't learn to ski unless they quit just because they fell down a couple of times. Most learn in less than 1 hour, and if you give me 2 hours I'll even personally guarantee it. Not that you'll be an expert, but you'll be able to stop, go, speed up, slow down, make some sort of turn, and get up and start again after you fall down. And what I love the most, is to watch someone who decided to teach him/herself (rather than pay for a lesson) and is really struggling ready to give up, and I ask them to give it one more chance with me and in 10 minutes they are have accomplished what they said they couldn't do and are back to having fun again. Yeah, I know it means I gave them a free lesson (or at least an abbreviate version of one), but most of us ski instructors don't do it for the money, but rather the joy of seeing other people learn to ski and loving it.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,521 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never seen snow. Need advice!

turkce_bilmiyorum;

Mom1990's plans were for "feb 12-16", which means that they are on their trip right now, or on their way home.

Best Regards

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never seen snow. Need advice!

Yeah, I know. Hence the reason I began with, "I'm sorry I'm just reading this." Given where she lives on the I-10 corridor in western LA, she didn't even have to travel to see snow this past weekend, it came to her.

One of the reasons I responded anyway, is that people don't always take their trip as originally plannned. So, if she delayed it, or if someone else sees that thread title and thinks it describes them, I've provided what I hope will be a helpful answer.

Also people sometimes reach erroneous conclusions about things they've never personally experienced before. That's especially true when it comes to learning to ski. It does take a long time to get proficient, and I've seen plenty of people who have no idea what they are doing just bombing down the hill out of control. But with the right instruction you can learn enough to have a ton of fun in just a few hours. That would apply to Mom1990 not just for this trip, but in the future as well. And at my particular hill, a beginner can still get outfitted and a lesson for under $50. For an all day activity, that's not the budget buster it would be at a major resort destination.

5. Re: Never seen snow. Need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions