We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

Hi,

The only time we can get to vacation will be the 1st week in December and want to do a ski trip. Is there anywhere in the US (besides CA) that this is possible? i.e., good ski conditions. We usually just do half days and are intermediate skiers. Have only skiied Heavenly and surrounding areas as we were from CA.

Also interested in possibly going to Eastern Canada and looked at Banff, but the temp for December is only 20 degrees! Would like the temperature anywhere to be at least 50. We are mid-budget minded. Thank you!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

ok, think about what you are requesting:

you want an early season ski vacation with temps in the 50's...

what do you think your options are?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,122 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

>>"Also interested in possibly going to Eastern Canada and looked at Banff"<<

Banff is in *western* Canada.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

>>anywhere in the US besides canada....<<

i thought canada was a separate country.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

No, the OP said "anywhere in the US (besides CA)" -- presumably California, where I believe such a thing is possible.

In BC, Whistler is close enough to Vancouver that you can get good snow and warm drizzle in the same vacation, but they're not close enough together to go back and forth every day.

Given the warm-weather requirement, you can rule out Eastern Canada. The mountains aren't very high in that part of the country, so if it's warm at the bottom of the hill there won't be much good snow. And Eastern Canada Decembers are indeed around or below freezing most years.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 21:03
alvinut
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

Many of the big destination resorts in the Western US and Canada, and several on the East Coast too, are at least partially open by Thanksgiving. Where the best conditions will be is always hit or miss, especially that time of year. But as another poster alluded to, you NEED colder temperatures if you want to be able to ski early season. Resorts must have a minimum base of snow in order to open terrain, and the only way for that base to build is for temperatures to be cold enough to snow (either naturally or using snow making equipment) and not melt.

If you want to ski in warmer weather, you should focus on spring skiing when the days are longer, the sun is higher and the snowpack is deeper.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

i think his best bet for early dec skiing with 50 degree temps would be NZ....

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

Both Colorado and Utah will offer you plenty of options for December skiing.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

but will it be 50 degrees? i think not.........

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

Breckenridge and all the other resorts on the I70 should be open that time of year, but I don’t think they open up the whole mountain until nearer Christmas.

Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain, Vail, Beaver Creek, and Loveland (not as fancy as the others but great fun and cheap), are all very easily accessible by car, they all have good intermediate skiing, and we’ve always managed to find some decent snow, even when we’ve gone really late or early in the season.

Breck is probably the best value and possibly most lively place to stay, the only downside is, it can get rather cold and windy, and some people occasionally have problems (at least for the first day or so) adjusting to the altitude. Keystone and Copper are purpose built resorts, so it’s mainly condos – nice if you want somewhere a bit quieter. Vail and Beaver are at the upper end of the price scale, so we’ve always stayed at Breck/Keystone and just gone over for the day.

Banff / Lake Louise are also a pretty cool places to ski (stayed at both several times), but it can be even colder in December, and I sometimes found the bus journey up to the mountain was a bit of a pain.

Despite it’s reputation, Jackson Hole has some good intermediate skiing and you could probably get some decent deals on accommodation, but we’ve never been early in the season, so don’t know what it’s like that time of year – possibly as cold as Banff.

Best bet is to wait and see what the weather’s like, and then get a last minute deal.

PS Really doubt anywhere in the Rockies is going to be 50 degrees that time of year, so you'd better just take some extra layers. :)

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: possible to ski anywhere in the US/CAN 1st week of december

I regularly ski Whistler from Thanksgiving on...but 50 degrees? I think not.

You can fly into Vancouver, then it is 1.5 hour drive/shuttle.

Early season is one of my favorite times, no crowds, just enthusiastic skiers/boarders with big smiles because we're back on the snow.

Get answers to your questions