We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Ski vacation

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family Ski vacation

I am looking for ski vacation suggestions.We are first time skiers.We would be traveling in mid December. We are a family of 4 my boys are 21 & 17. Looking for locations that would have stuff to do at night as well. I was thinking either Colorado or Tahoe. Not sure where to go or where to stay? I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

alvinut
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Ski vacation

Tahoe is good, but i prefer Colorado, which is a little more geared towards destination skiers.

All the big resorts have excellent ski schools and beginner terrain, so things to consider include lodging and dining preferences, whether you want a town or resort village, and how much time and money you want to spend getting and staying there.

Aspen/Snowmass - far enough from Denver to avoid the day crowds, but 4 different mountains to ski and the fanciest ski town in North America. Stay in Aspen if you want a town, Snowmass if you want a resort village.

Vail/Beaver Creek - The biggest ski resort in the country, and not far behind Aspen for luxury (or price), but it's also a lot closer to Denver. This makes it easier to get to, but also more crowded. Vail has the town and bigger mountain, but Beaver Creek is super family friendly, with a small resort village built around an ice skating rink.

Breckenridge/Keystone/Copper - Breckendrige is an old mining town turned ski town while Keystone and Copper are resort villages about 30 minutes away. All of it is an easy drive from Denver and the general area offers tons of activities. Breckenridge and Keystone both owned by Vail and share lift tickets, but they can also get extremely crowded.

Steamboat - Cool western town with a family friendly mountain. A bit isolated, but fewer crowds.

Telluride - Another old mining town turned ski resort - incredibly scenic, but also incredibly isolated and hard to get to. Lift lines do not exist here.

Winter Park - While the town isn't memorable, the mountain is great. Probably the most "local" of the options, but also the cheapest.

I also like Park City in Utah. Yet another ski town with a mining history. Extremely easy to get to. Huge variety of skiing, lodging, dining and activities all in close proximity.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,867 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Ski vacation

You might consider Utah - definitely easier and more accessible than Colorado or Tahoe. In mid-December you can also ski free on day of arrival with your same-day air ticket at any of the three Park City resorts.

As noted, Park City will give you a great old historic mining town with options at three resorts right in town. You can't get that anywhere in the USA. And it's just 35-45 minutes from the airport. Give it a thought.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
31 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Ski vacation

Good suggestions above. North Star is a nice resort near north Lake Tahoe. Several other mountains nearby. Salt Lake is great and very easy to get to. My favorite is Jackson Hole. Great mountain and wonderful kids ski/snowboard school. Lots of variety. If it is your first time I recommend taking lessons for everyone. Makes the trip more enjoyable.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Ski vacation

I would also suggest Salt Lake due to the short drive and many different resorts. You can stay in Salt Lake with very reasonable hotel rates. I also like the lower elevations rather than Colorado, especially if your aren't used to the altitude (headaches, fatique, etc). I personally don't think you can beat Park City. Great little town for dining, shopping and three awesome ski resorts minutes apart for whatever type of skiing, boarding you like. Canyons..Deer Valley (skiing only)..and Park city. All great skiing.

5. Re: Family Ski vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions