We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

Grateful for any advice you have to offer for the trip we are advance planning since we are coming from Oz with a large family. December /jan 2013/14 we want to book for 2 weeks in a European resort for 5 adults and 4 children who will range in age from 2-13. Adults are either experienced or intermediate skiers children vary according to age.

We want the following criteria:

1. Snow (resorts that get snow reliably during late Dec/early January a must)

2. Relatively easy to access from London either by train or flight

3. Caters for children including Childcare for the youngest and ski school for the older 3

4. Looks nice (we're coming all the way from Australia we want beautiful mountains not concrete jungle)

5. Ski in ski out or very close to slopes so we don't have to drag 4 tired kids and their gear

6. Walking for my mother who is a non skier

Thankyou for your advice

Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

Just published this article, it might give you a few ideas!

smart-trips.net/p/8-great-winter-vacations.h…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,560 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

My visit there was a very long time ago, but I was very impressed with the options in the Zillertal in Austria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayrhofen

I think there were 7 ski hills accessible from Mayerhoffen, and the village itself was quite charming. It was quite family friendly at the time. Like I say, my information is very old and out of date, but something to look at.

3. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2012, 13:41
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

Thank you Dia-baz. Yes I think we are going to take your advice and go to Zermatt it sounds like such a wonderful resort and we'll suck up the cost! We will opt for self catering for a bit more flexibility.

Any tips for ski schools? The kids will be 2 and a half, 4, 8 and 13 with cousins aged 8 and 11. Are there any economical options for so many kids and hire of their skis and boots?

Thanks

Talloires, France
Level Contributor
362 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

Hi,

Depends on the level of the kids, if some of them are the same level I would get a private instructor for them as it is a lot more flexible and works out for cost as well. Ski schools in Zermatt are fantastic and this is a great article that might help... telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/switzerlan…

You can also pre-book your ski equipment and get great dicounts - I know that SkiSet and Intersport gives up to 50% off if you book online. It is worth shopping around!

Hope this helps, have a fantastic holiday!!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

I can thoroughly recommend summit ski school which is staffed mainly by Brits so the language barrier doesn't become an issue for kids. They're based in Zermatt.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 16:30
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

me and some friends went here last year, accommodates heaps of people! great snowboarding, great for kids, fantastic food and people, take a look! http://skichaletsmeribel.co.uk/

Hope this helps

8. Re: Ski resorts Xmas/new year 2013/14 with large family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions