We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow skiing with young adults

Slidell, Louisiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snow skiing with young adults

Trying to plan a vacation for our family to go snow skiing for the first time. Want someplace that is nice enough for my husband and I, and has some excitement (younger adult crowd) for the kids. Kids will be 25, and two 18 year olds. We will all be beginner skiers. Thinking somewhere in Colorado, but open to any suggestions.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 21:38
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow skiing with young adults

how about jackson, WY? jackson hole in the tetons is a bit aggressive, but snow king, right in town is kinder and gentler... jackson is a fun town, and to break up the trip a bit, you can go on a snowmobiling tour of yellowstone national park.... fly into jackson direct from chicago, denver and possibly houston...

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow skiing with young adults

If you are looking for a good area for beginners I would steer clear of Jackson. It is !my favorite resort and I ski there on a regular basis but the runs are 50% expert. The best places for families with variety are going to be either Snowbird/Alta near SLC or Big Sky MT. There is a lot of info about both resorts but the only thing I would add is that Snowbird has the obvious advantage of proximity to a larger city and more to do in a closer area. That being said Big Sky is a great mountain with nearly no lines. If you fly into Idaho Falls it is also possible to stop at Grand Targhee (a little known ski area near Driggs Idaho) on the way to or from Big Sky.

Hope that helps

Edited: 13 November 2013, 15:58
Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow skiing with young adults

If you've convinced yourself you want to go to one of the big Colorado resorts, then I recommend Summit County. Stay in the town of Breckenridge (because this will actually give you a place to do things besides ski), take your first lessons there as well. And plan on at least three full days of skiing, if so, on the last day you might try one of the other resorts in the area, you lift ticket will be good for any in the Keystone group.

Now, if you want to save some money, have an experience that for a beginner skier will be every bit as good as out west, and give you some other options on activities, you might actually want to look at the Midwest. Check out my "Best Ski Resort..." thread ( tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12335-k6956813… ) or PM me to narrow down your options.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow skiing with young adults

I agree that Breckenridge sounds good for your group. It's the most visited ski resort in the US, which means it is almost always quite crowded (way too crowded for me). But it has a real town where both you and your kids could find restaurants/bars/etc that you like, and it's easy to get to from Denver. And you can walk or bus everywhere, so you don't have to worry about sharing a car. If you don't pick Breck I'd choose someplace that has a real town, since it sounds like you'll want some non-skiing activities and things to keep both parents and kids entertained. I don't think a remote purpose built resort like Big Sky will fit the bill. Aspen would be another idea though it's harder to get to, and pricey (fewer crowds because of those things, though).

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow skiing with young adults

In Colorado a surprisingly good resort for beginners is Winter Park. I say surprisingly, because the mountain there is known for the quality of its mogul skiing, something a beginner definitely wants to avoid. But the first time I went there for that purpose, I found that there is a whole other side to the mountain that is perfect for beginners to learn on. Winter Park also has a real town (and down the road is Fraser where I think the lodging choices are a bit better), but the towns here are sleepier than Breckenridge.

A couple of nice destinations are Salida or Pagossa Springs. Neither of these is a ski resort itself, but they are the closest town to a day-ski area about 20 minute drive away. I think from what you've described your family would do well at either place -- both ski hill and town.

My favorite ski school in Colorado is at Copper Mountain. Now, for a small child, I would still recommend Winter Park, and for your family I still don't think you will do wrong at any of the others either, and think you might fit very well at Breckenridge. But I just like the way things are run at Copper Mountain. Another popular resort (and it is a sister to Breckenridge) is Keystone. You will hear of some who love it for the nice long beginner runs they have on the front mountain, and some of the non-ski activities they have as well. It just didn't impress me. Now, notice, eventually one's favorite ski hill often has to do with intangibles. They day I went to Keystone, I had been having a blast on Arapahoe Basin all day, and went to Keystone because they have night skiing. But the snow that fell was sticky, and the back mountains were closed at night. So, someone else might have had a different experience there and love it.

Given some of your requests for your kids, you may also want to look at Park City (Utah). And, again, if saving dollars is an issue, I can recommend a half dozen midwest resorts that can give a beginner all the mountain you can handle and then some. And in terms of knowing how to teach beginners, they often actually have more experience at this than do the big resorts in Colorado because that is who their clientele mostly is.

Owings Mills...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow skiing with young adults

www.toursdesport.com can help you with that, just visit this site because they offer the best ski vacation resorts in whole US and Canada, I hope it can help. Good day!

7. Re: Snow skiing with young adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:15