We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

Hi - we're going to France and Italy in January 2014. My family (kids 12 & 14) love to ski blue / black runs but I don't ski. Where would you recommend in in France or Italy that offers activities for me during the day eg movies / shopping? Thanks for your help.

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

Whoops - meant to say January 2015.

Is there a European equivalent of Park City, Utah? We've been there before and love that there is a village for me to explore as well as great skiing for family.

Thx in anticipation,

Sue

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,058 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

Ok, good, you have a bit more time to plan then. :)

While you wait for some advice here, you might also try posting in the France and/or Italy forums as well.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

You might want to consider Courchevel (courchevel.com/winter/en/activities-ac57.html), there are both lots of activities there and excellent skiing -- and you'll pay a premium. If you want something that isn't going to break the budget the use of these two websites will help you sort through some other options:

www.onthesnow.com/france/ski-resorts.html

http://en.france-montagnes.com/

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

Thankyou - good advice.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

Sue, swing by the USA first and I'll teach you how to ski. I've taught about 2000 students in the last six years, and have a 100% success rate. I don't say that cause I really expect you to detour to the little resorts I teach at rather than the French Alps, but simply say that pretty much anyone can learn to ski and enjoy it. You may not be skiing the steeps with your kids, but you can still enjoy some beautiful scenery and share the same joy of skiing from beginner runs. And a good instructor can get you comfortable on skis in just a couple of hours. I've taught all sorts from age 3 to 83, overweight folks who haven't exercised in years, clutzes who trip over their own feet walking to the lesson, those with serious learning disabilities, and every year the graduating seniors from a blind school. So, you may not be a skier right now, but if you're going with your family, give it a try. You just might find out you like it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,058 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

Very true! And even if downhill doesn't appeal, there are several other winter snow sports that are easy to take up and might be less intimidating. Snow shoeing is taking off as a fun winter activity, so check that out too.

7. Re: I'm not a skier/ family are - where would you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16
Get answers to your questions