We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled friendly holidays abroad

My adult daughter is disabled and wheelchair bound. It is a special birthday next year and we would like to take her on holiday abroad as a treat. Does anyone have any ideas of disabled friendly destinations we could consider? Many years ago we took her to Florida and Mallorca. The latter was not disabled friendly then and it was very hard work - I felt in need of a holiday afterwards to recover! Could we consider a cruise? Are there any good ships or cruise holidays for the disabled?

175 replies to this topic
Port de Pollenca...
3 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Port Pollensa Mallorca, is the perfect choice, beautiful flat resort, with terrific views, sandy calm waters, activities and accommodations to suit disabled travellers to the resort.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
82. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

P&O Cruise ship Ventura is wheelchair friendly. I went on a fourteen day Western Mediterranean cruise as a single solo disabled wheelchair user in May 2013, it was the best holiday of a lifetime for me. Extremely helpful members of staff at ports of embarkation in Southampton and other ports visited. Food was nice and the ship's crew were ever so polite, courteous, professional and helpful. All you need to do is let them know what your needs are, I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help if you ask.

I do hope you'll find a suitable holiday, one that meets with your requirements, but will recommend a cruise holiday, any day, any time.

Goodluck.

Timmy.

Derby, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

looking for a all inclusive family holiday I am a mobility scooter user and need the hotel to have a bath

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Hi, consider Costa Rica. I know, not the top thing that comes to mind for disabled, but I recently returned from a trip there that was customized. I am mobility impaired, though not in a wheelchair. I found the infrastructure excellent, even in remote places. Note that I did tell them ahead of time and therefore got rooms that were close to the restaurant, etc. so didnt end up doing anything impossible. We also asked for customized guides . There are of course things you can't do, like ziplining, but the nature is so spectacular that youi can enjoy a lot just from the car or a boat. Finally, the people are so incredibly nice and all about customer service, and will go out of their way to help anyone who needs it.

in the States, Yosemite is very handicapped friendly, with wheelchair access on many trails and on the buses.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

I have MS & one of my symptoms is heat intolerance. My partner & i wanted to go to H10 Timanfaya Palace in Lanzarote. Will it be too hot for me? or is it a different type of heat (less humid & wind) ?

Teesside
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Hi Patrick , Lanzarote is less humid and has a constant breeze but saying that it is still hot in summer. I go in April when it is still warm during the day but quite cool on a night. It's warm enough for t-shirts and shorts daytime but need a bit more cover for night , a light jacket and trousers or cardigan.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Hi Serena,

Thanks for your advice.

88. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 05:05

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
89. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

Hi All,

This is a message for any wheelchair users and their familes who have stayed at the nautilus bungalows in Lanzarote. My sister is wheelchair bound and I would like to know if you would recommend this hotel? I would also like to know if the area has wheelchair adapted taxis and wheelchair accessible attractions, eg theme parks, water parks etc.

Thanks in advance.

90. Re: Disabled friendly holidays abroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 12:42

Reply to: Disabled friendly holidays abroad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted