We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Hawaii Resource

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Hawaii Resource

I came across are really cool map of the island of Maui in Hawaii that is of particular interest for those who might travel there. I don't know how they created this but is it is a really nice resource. Sort of like a Trip Advisor travel list but in graphical form. For anyone with a disability contemplating going to Maui this could be really handy.

maps.google.ca/maps/ms…

It was created by a fellow there who is a C 5/6 quadriplegic and rents out an accessible condo (so I hope this does not run afoul of the guidelines - I have no interest or involvement in the property other than maybe stayig there someday) but the majority of the map describes places all over the island has really good accessiblity descriptions. It would be really cool if this could be done for more places.

vernon
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

Thank you for sharing the google map on accessible activities on Maui. It is a powerful tool that would be cool if it was used for other locatiions also.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

Excellent resource - thank you for posting it.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 13:49
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

Now I have to backtrack - I've been going through the above link and found a couple of things that I don't want to perpetuate.

1) the drive around West Maui, no way do I advise it and if there are questions I advise anyone to do a search on the topic here on TA

2) same thing for the 'back side of Haleakala

Otherwise it's a good link for ideas

Maui
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

I created the google map of accessible activities and appreciate the conversation on it and to be truthful there are many different levels of disability so nothing is uniform. I use an electric wheelchair and have driven in my modified van numerous times around west Maui although I usually turn around at the village of Kahakuloa but my funnest trip was done in a Mustang convertable that my wife drove. . Beautiful drive, drive Kapalua and have breakfast at the Plantation house restaurant and then take a right and drive around West Maui. It's all paved but become 1 lane after Kahakuloa. The trip around the backside of Haleakala is looong and you end up upcountry by the Tedeschi winery so you still have a long drive a head of you. So caution is warranted there. Rental car policies exclude these trips from coverage I hope you have found my TravelAdvisor listing of my accessible condo on Maui under the bizzarre name "Do you know someone who uses a wheelchair?" in the village of Maalaea. Trying to specialize in the disabled accommodation niche ON mAUI

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

I clicked on this thread because I just booked tickets for Hawaii. We had no plans to go there, but found an airfare to inexpensive to resist. Now, I have to discover reasons to visit.

I was surprised by this thread. As a state in the US doesn't Hawaii have to conform to the Americans With Disabilities Act? Can I not expect the same kinds of adaptations in infrastructure in Hawaii that I enjoy in the US?

I do appreciate this little map. I do not expect to visit Maui, but wished there was something similar for Oahu.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

Busy-retired, it's a problem indeed - but with TA many of us can guide - however as Bruce so plainly stated there are variances on levels of disability. His, mine and yours are different - accessibiliity is one of those 'eye of the beholder' situations.

This forum was begun with good intentions and is a help, many have pitched in and done what we can do. I've taken personal trips that encompass note taking and research in the areas of accessibility. It's impossible for one single traveler to do in a brief visit -

Yes - Hawaii is US and has the same guidelines as the mainland. There are loopholes and there are time/fund restraints. Oahu is something that I just started working on and with Dusty's help hopefully we can make a difference. It's not all structural or socially designed - it's often nature that restricts access. I find it easy to maneuver around Maui, but after many years I also know where I am going for the most part. I find it easy to maneuver on the Big Island - even though I was told by many that it would not work for me.

This particular "Traveling With Disabilities" forum has a global audience - it gets tricky - so I humbly bow to Dusty for putting together the sticky//notes for the Hawaii forums and allowing me to add to that as I go along. Originally it was all supposed to be on this forum - it got too big - many still don't know it exists. We do what we can as best we can and with feedback from other travelers maybe it can come together. Your trip can be of importance to future travelers as well.

With many hands we can build a bridge - but only one set of hands will take long to set a foundation.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

My apologies if my last post sounds curt - I am fresh off the return home from my trip and frankly exhausted.

There is much work to be done - TA is volunteer driven - Trip Reports are a valuable resource. Feedback from others is critical to collecting information. - I have merely a drop in the bucket, but it's a start.

Bruce lives on island - I do not, yet. He is a good source. Trip Advisor is a fantastic place for information, but it depends on members for collective gathering of details.

Specific questions about Oahu can be answered on that forum - or send me a pm (private message) because I need to take some down time right now.

I found a mixed bag of accessibility and lot of places that were supposed to be were not. It's up to us to get that out for future travelers. This is why I agreed to take back the DE position - nobody knows this forum exists - so be it.

Make a joyful noise, shout and be counted

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

Hi LesRose, I appreciate the situation you describe, and I certainly understand that there are natural barriers that cannot be modified for those of us with disabilities. I do not expect an elevator to the base of the Grand Canyon for example, and I do not really expect a wheelchair accessible beach.

I do expect some reserved parking for disabled people. I expect curb cutouts on public sidewalks so I can use my wheelchair or scooter on public sidewalks. I expect that businesses and government offices that provide access to the general public will also provide access to me, but I also understand that in some situations I must make some adjustments.

I appreciate your efforts, as well as those of Bruce and Dusty. The only hope those of us with disabilities have in traveling is the possibility of contacts with those who have been before and can provide some predictions for the future.

As a Destination DE I fully appreciate the amount of time and effort required to post to a forum on a regular basis, as well as spend precious vacation time researching issues for the forum.

Perhaps I will be able to add something following my own trip to Oahu.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

Aloha BusyRetired - for the most part you will find Oahu accessible. I will say that having stayed there, The Outrigger Reef on the Beach is not to be reccomended for travelers with Disabilities - they allow vehicles to park in front and block the entrance ramp - the lobby is uneven slate that is bone jarring.

Sidewaks are narrow - but maneuverable.

I wish I had been able to dig deeper into the area.

For getting around you will find the cutaways on curbs and the usual things in any big city - some spots are more conducive than others. With your power scooter I believe that you will be in a better situation than I, which is why I am looking into scooters for myself.

Oahu has a lot to offer - depending on your desires for the trip it is a modern city with many points that will enable you to enjoy the trip. Are you packed yet?

Maui
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Hawaii Resource

I have updated some of the information on my Maui accessibility google map. If anyone has any accessible activities or locations on Maui they would like added to the map just contact me at bruce@mauiaccessiblecondo.com The map is truly a wonderful resource I only wish more of them were available for other locations that I'd like to visit. Aloha Bruce

Get answers to your questions