We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disability walker/rollator

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Disability walker/rollator

Is a disabled passenger allowed to take a walker/rollator on board the aircraft with them or must it be put in the luggage the same as a pushchair.

38 replies to this topic
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disability walker/rollator

You'll need to check the airline's rules. But, for example, here's what Virgin Atlantic say : virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information…

2. Re: Disability walker/rollator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 09:35
Edited: 23 May 2014, 09:35

Inverness
Level Contributor
445 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disability walker/rollator

Do not know about walkers but out of four flights with an electric scooter we have had four different procedures/ combinations of where the scooter goes, where the batteries go etc. book special assistance with your airline, arrive early and expect everything the special assistance folk told you to change on the ground.. But travel anyway! So long as you tell thembecause in advance what you can and cannot do it is their responsibility to get you there!!

Inverness
Level Contributor
445 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disability walker/rollator

Techno weird my last post to another forum has turned up here !! Sorry folks.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disability walker/rollator

The answer to this question not only varies from airline to airline, but from type of aircraft to type of aircraft, and occasionally from one flight crew to another. On most occasions when I have traveled with my walker it has been gate checked and delivered back to me at the door of the plane when we arrive. This is OK with me. My walker is rather large and I would not use it while I was on the plane.

On a couple of occasions a kind flight attendant took my folded walker and put it in a closet on board the plane. On those occasions when I have been flying First Class with my walker it has always been stored in an on board closet.

So....it really just depends. If you cannot manage on the aircraft without your walker, you probably need to get some very specific answers from the airline which you are using.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disability walker/rollator

Thanks for all your messages I have sent two e mails to the airline but have not had a reply yet but what I think is best to do if I put the walker in the hold with the luggage and use a walking stick from the ambilift onto the plane, my wife will be with me so I should be ok.

new york
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disability walker/rollator

GREETINGS, I have traveled from the US to INDIA with a rollator and had few problems. i usually walk to the door of the plane and leave the rollator outside . I do not have any balance (ataxia) so I very carefully hold on to anything I can and go to my seat .1st on the plane last off When we land they will have the rollator waiting at the door of the plane. HINT if your basket detatches take it and put it in the overhead they will loose it see picture of me at TAJ MAHAL with rollator in my review of TAJ MAHAL. they put the rollator in the bottom of the plane with the baggage and will put a GATE PASS TAG on it at check in. Ask me any questions I plan to go to NEPAL in APRIL

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
13 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disability walker/rollator

I check my rollitor as luggage and never have a problem.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 05:15
Santa Clara...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Disability walker/rollator

For those traveling with rollators, do you also need toilet safety products such as raised toilet seats. If so, what do you do, since these are not portable?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disability walker/rollator

I usually check my walker and am taken to the gate and on to the plane in the airline's wheelchair. I do the same procedure getting off. First on, last off, but it works for me.

Reply to: Disability walker/rollator
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted