We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with refrigereated medications

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
traveling with refrigereated medications

Is there a simple way to transport meds that need to be refrigerated>

1. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 March 2013, 03:40
Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
2. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

I personally use a FRIO wallet. It is simple to use and will keep your medication cold for hours. I use it for my insulin.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

Check your intended airline - here's Virgin, for example :

Keeping your medication cold

The onboard fridge cannot be used to keep medication cold. However, if you bring a cool bag the crew will be happy to top it up with ice.

From virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information…

Darlington
Level Contributor
76 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

I agree the FRIO wallets are great - I use one for my MS medication and it keeps it cool for a long time.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
5. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

I recommend the iCool Prestige from Medactiv Australia.

The iCool Prestige will keep the liquid inside the syringes at a temperature between 2 and 8°C for just over 24 hours.

If you want to travel for more than 24 hours, there is no question that you should use there iCool MediCube. The cavity inside are much bigger and you can then easily put a dozen pens inside, and it will really keep them between 2 and 8°C for and incredible 36 hours.

The only drawback of the MediCube is that it is much bigger and measures 20 x 20 x 20 cm, but apart from that it is a perfect product for you.

Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

Hi guys

I was going to post my own thread but had the exact same question, I'm on thyroxine which I need to keep refrigerated as I'm going for over 5 weeks and wont have access to a fridge all the time.

So how do these products work?

I'll have to check but thought the FRIO wallet would work as you dont need to freeze anything before, you just activate it when you wet it.

Is that how the iCool prestige works? Do they have smaller ones available? (20cm2 is a bit big)

The FRIO wallet works out cheaper (that I have found thus far).

Cheers

Stace

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
7. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

Hi Stace

Yes, Medactiv has smaller bags that also work by "activate when wet" = it's the evaporation method.

It's all about the temperature you require for your medication and the needs of your travelling.

Medactiv Easy Bag Single keeps medication between 16-25 C for 3 days and the Easy Bag Classic keeps it 16-25 C for 5 days. It's easy and quick to wet the fabric inside the bag and keep going. Note that the bags are elegant and discrete.

Their iCool range of bags (Weekender, Prestige & MediCube) keep the medication between 2-8 C for 12hr / 24hr / 36hr. They work with special formulated gel packs that has no condensation.

All the information is on their website www.medactiv.com.au

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

Re taking thyroxine (thyroid hormone) on trips....yes it is recommended the meds not be out of the frig longer than a week or so. I am on this medicine, and often spend many months on the road in a hot climate, so at these times I take the natural form which is made up at a compounding pharmacy. They are quite expensive, but very useful as it's a dried product and doesn't matter if it gets hot. If your doctors doesn't know about it contact a compounding pharmacy for information, or see an endocrinologist who will know about it.

Hawthorne...
1 post
9. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

David, I recently purchased this item for an upcoming trip. I have not received it yet and I am worried. Do you know how I can reach the company for tracking info?

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: traveling with refrigereated medications

Post 10 this thread is well over a year old.

I suggest you click on David's name and send him a personal message he may get it and answer, but don't be surprised if after all this time he doesn't.

You can also start a new thread and ask your question but with some more detail would be helpful.

Deb