We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying crutches and walking aides in Patong

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Buying crutches and walking aides in Patong

My partner and I travelled to Patong beach Phuket during May - June 2013. On our first day, my partner stepped on a broken glass bottle in the beach water and cut his foot. We rushed to the hospital and he had to have 10 stitches. He was unable to walk or put any pressure on his affected foot. I wanted to get him some crutches to help him walk so we could at least get around. I went around to several pharmacies and most had no idea what I was talking about. After about an hour of searching with a very patient driver, I found a pharmacy called FACINO which was down the road from patong hospital. They sold walking frames, walking sticks, crutches and other walking aides. The crutches cost 750 baht. I though this might be helpful for anyone who found themselves in the same position we were in :) otherwise DO NOT SWIM IN PATONG BEACH WITHOUT FOOTWEAR!!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying crutches and walking aides in Patong

Thanks Melinda, for sharing that. Hindsight is, as they say, 20/20 and we all know thigs we'd not have done if we knew then what we knew now.

My Patong Beach moment came on the beach at Bamburgh when I was about seven ... broken glass, just like your partner. Next PB moment was when I was closer to 50 and walked around a temple complex in my bare feet - soft euro feet vs hard dusty dirty floor - serious infection!

You've got to take care and be aware - Crocs are terrible for my feet, so I wear swimming slippers, but you need something - anything - to protect your feet.

As you say, finding crutches after the event is not as easy as packing swim shoes at the start of your trip!

Have you added this to the Phuket forum? That's a better place for people visiting the area.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,775 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying crutches and walking aides in Patong

Did they not have crutches available at the hospital where he was treated?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying crutches and walking aides in Patong

Thank you Melinda for this info. I've hurt my leg and finding it very hard to walk. Chemists around here didn't have any, so thought I'd check the ever reliable Trip Advisor and there is the answer. Found Facino chemist very easily and purchased a pair of calipers for around b 1900 this morning at least I'm now able to get around a bit now and not confined to the hotel.

4. Re: Buying crutches and walking aides in Patong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2015, 05:15