We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility Scooters banned

Inverness
Level Contributor
446 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Mobility Scooters banned

I am fizzing with fury. The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam bans mobility scooters. They allow electric wheelchairs and push chairs but not scooters. Husband's three wheel travel scoot is smaller and lighter than many push and wheelchairs but will it be allowed. What is equally infuriating is that I can not find any way to contact the museumto ask whether the ban is on all scooters or only the big road worthy ones. Have been looking forward to planning this trip ever since we got mobile with the machine and the museum re opened. Does any one have any idea if there is wiggle room on scooter definition or are they strict? Do not want to spend a lot of cash getting to Amsterdam and get turned away.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

Contact details from their website, including e-mail address...

Rijksmuseum Amsterdam

Postbus 74888

1070 DN Amsterdam

The Netherlands

E-mail: info@rijksmuseum.nl

Telephone number: +31 (0) 20 6621 440

Found on this web page:-

https:/…contact

Inverness
Level Contributor
446 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

Thank you was so cross I missed it .

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

Could you just go there by taxi then use one of their chairs?

"The Rijksmuseum is accessible to visitors with limited mobility and those accompanying them. Wheelchairs and rollators are available. Please ask one of our colleagues."

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

I would be very surprised if the museum did not go out of their way to come up with a compromise solution which allowed you and your husband to visit. Have you had a response from them yet?

London, England
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

Nearly all museums in European major cities lend wheelchairs FOC. Some places do ask you to book them in advance, it will tell you on their website. Or, you cold call them, they will speak English.

Your husband could go to the museum on his scooter and then once there, transfer to one of their wheelchairs. There will be an easy solution.

Inverness
Level Contributor
446 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

I am little , he is big ( and much bigger since exercise became impossible) and has an impaired shoulder so neither can push a wheelchair. Tried to contact the museum direct but so far no response.Got past cross to just sad. Looks like once again technology enables and people disable.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

Cacaj

I suggest you ring them. I realise that size will make a difference, but most museums are very easy to push wheelchairs around. Actually, in some they evn have 'pushers' available. You get no answer form the museum try Amsterdam Tourist Board.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

I'm sure that the museum would be willing to store your mobility scooter for you and for you to use one of their loan wheelchairs for your visit - if it was me I would contact the museum to arrange this in advance so that you don't just turn up hoping for a wheelchair to be available. I always find that companies are really happy to help, but often it can be difficult to sort things out without a bit of pre-planning. I hope you get sorted and that it doesn't spoil your trip.

Inverness
Level Contributor
446 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

First many thanks to Accessible Travel Netherlands who finally managed to get a response out of the Rijksmuseum about scooter access. If we were going to Amsterdam I am sure they would arrange our needs with the same courtesy and understanding that they dealt with my problem of getting information. Alas we will not be going to Amsterdam because the Rijksmuseum are adamant that they will not allow scooters. According to many replies on the Amsterdam forum we should be grovelling grateful that the museum provides wheelchairs ;has anyone ever tried pushing public service wheelchairs in hospitals etc? Shopping trolleys are usually better designed and easier to steer, I can not believe they are risk free. As a further sympathetic empathic gesture they also allow a free entry to anyone pushing you.Well I am really glad for those that can go to the museum because of these charitable acts but we do not need them. All we want to do is take in our revolutionary Travelscoot - it has three wheels instead of four like a push chair or an electric wheelchair and its controls are at the front instead of on the side arm but otherwise it is pretty well the same thing- so how come one is allowed and not the other- Rijks insist it is a safety measure but I wonder whether scooter users are not seen as really handicapped.Sorry to those who have to use a pusher but if you did not have to would you ?

What I really love is that the worse accident in a museum I can find was caused by an able body person tripping over their shoe laces- perhaps the Rijks museum should take peoples laced up shoes off them too!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobility Scooters banned

Sorry you seem to have a problem with the Rijks Museum, but all manual wheelchairs I have borrowed in museums both in UK and abroad have been very easy for my 'carer' to push. I'm sorry life is not perfect.

Get answers to your questions