We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ban on holiday lettings

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Ban on holiday lettings

dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2507146/End-h…

What do you thonk of this? Won't it reduce the availability of accessible accomodation ecve more?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ban on holiday lettings

I think this needs sorting from all angles for many different parties. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I will link to a comment I made on another forum. Post 39.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k6528…

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ban on holiday lettings

A couple of weeks ago in Istanbul the government closed down 150 "illegal hotels" leaving many visitors with confirmed reservations looking for other hotels. Most of these "illegal hotels" were, in fact, vacation rental apartments. It appears that people just placed their apartments on a web site and rented them out for the day, week or month. The owners did not meet any of the legal criteria for providing temporary housing for people on vacation.

While I understand that a property owner should be free to use his property as he wishes to use it, I also understand that as a renter, I expect some minimum standards to be achieved in terms of fire notification and prevention etc. So, I was rather of two minds about the events in Istanbul because I would want any short-term apartment to meet minimum safety standards.

I often rent from vrbo because I enjoy the feeling of living in a home rather than a hotel room, particularly when traveling in the US. I am less likely to use these types of accommodations when traveling outside the US because when I do not speak the language, I like the support I receive from a good hotel staff.

In Orlando there are a huge number of vacation rentals, but they are generally located in the same neighborhoods. We often rent a huge house when our entire family comes to Disney World. It seems to me as if every house in the neighborhood where we rent, is also a vacation rental. I do not know what the zoning laws are, but I suspect that not just any person in any neighborhood can rent his home for a vacation rental. Since I appreciate the desire of homeowners to protect their investments, I can rather understand why people might not like 52 sets of new neighbors moving in every Monday morning. It likely could diminish the value of other homes in the neighborhood.

I am not, however, supportive of measures that ban short-term rentals to protect the hotel industry. I do not think these properties prove a serious danger to the hotel industry, and I do not think there is anything wrong with a bit of competition.

3. Re: Ban on holiday lettings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:18