We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance for learning disabilities?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance for learning disabilities?

Hi

I am wondering if anyone on the forum can recommend a good travel insurance company that covers people with learning disabilities without hiking the price up?

I have taken my mentally handicapped sister on holiday all over the world every year for about 20 years now with no problems. She always paid exactly the same premium as me as we are both fully fit and healthy, I always just made a point of telling whatever company that she has a learning disability, they were always fine with this, all they were ever interested in is if she had any physical problems which she has not.

Then 3 years ago it started,as soon as I mention the learning disability the price goes up 3 fold and we have to do a special totally pointless medical questionnaire, I say pointless because my sister is the fittest person I know!. Apparently learning disabilities are now classed as a medical condition.. My husband has a lot (and I mean a lot) of very serious medical conditions and she is being quoted more than him!. I think this is really, really unfair and borders on discrimination and is just an excuse to rip my sister off.

I am wondering if anyone knows a company in the UK that is not classing learning disabilities as a serious medical illness?

Any help most appreciated

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel insurance for learning disabilities?

Busy-retired I forgot to answer your point about why I disclosed the info. It was because you hear so many horror stories about how insurance companies have a nasty way of getting out of paying out by linking one ailment to another or saying such a condition was caused by such a condition so I always disclose everything for my husband too and even my pets. Only a few months ago my friends horse was not paid out on and she was left with a big bill as they managed to connect one ailment which it was no longer covered for in one leg with a new ailment in another leg saying that the uncovered ailment had caused the second which was total rubbish but they got away with it so yeah always disclose everything or they will start digging!

England, United...
Level Contributor
9,443 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel insurance for learning disabilities?

Chrissy,

I am truly saddened that you have been left with such a negative view of the UK travel insurance market, but I say again, I am glad that you found appropriate cover at a price that suited you.

I have spent over 26 years as a Medical Claims Consultant in travel insurance and emergency travel medicine, so I suppose I tend to view matters from the insurers' point of view, although my company is impartial, working as we do for lots of insurers and underwriters.

In my business, as long as the policyholder has declared the things the insurers ask them to declare, in response to direct straightforward questions, and hasn't concealed a " material fact" which might have had a bearing upon whether the insurer would grant cover or not, then the policyholder gets the medical attention, service and support that they need.

As private individuals, my husband and I declare all our diagnosed medical conditions for our travel insurance, and, incidentally, we pay very significantly higher premiums to cover them all.

We are actually happy to do so for the peace of mind we have when travelling abroad.

Insurance premiums form a fund and the people who don't claim pay for those who do.

Insurers don't have a bottomless well of money. They are in business to cover their policyholders who need to make a claim, and only after those claim costs have been paid can they return a profit to their shareholders.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, that you don't need to make a claim and that all your travels will be safe and happy. If you do need to make a claim, then I'm sure you will regard the premium you paid as money well spent.

Regards

Mondial

13. Re: Travel insurance for learning disabilities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:19